Author Topic: problems with nocks  (Read 7016 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: problems with nocks
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »
For a bow that heavy your design is not very practical from what I can see. If you are interested in heavy bows, check out the War Bow thread. Those guys build very heavy bows and are familiar with what is needed to support such high draw weights. Most of us guys here on the "Bows" thread build bows of hunting and target weights, about 1/2 or less of what you want to build.
ok, im just wondering what isn't practical, im new to this and id'e like to know
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »
The wide thin limb tip with a single deeply cut nock at a steep angle. The string is putting the full weight of the draw down in the nock cutout over the end grain of the stave. Like driving a 100#+ wedge into the end of the bow.  With a thicker and narrower tip your string groove can go around the bow still supporting the draw weight all the way around.
  For that tip design I would be sure to have overlays and possibly underlays at the tip to prevent the string from "wedgeing" into the wood end grain. You might even get away with kerfing the tip and adding a tough spine of horn, bone or cross grain hardwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »
The wide thin limb tip with a single deeply cut nock at a steep angle. The string is putting the full weight of the draw down in the nock cutout over the end grain of the stave. Like driving a 100#+ wedge into the end of the bow.  With a thicker and narrower tip your string groove can go around the bow still supporting the draw weight all the way around.
  For that tip design I would be sure to have overlays and possibly underlays at the tip to prevent the string from "wedgeing" into the wood end grain. You might even get away with kerfing the tip and adding a tough spine of horn, bone or cross grain hardwood.
what is kerfing? and could i use the cow hoofs you find at pet stores for an overlay?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »
 If it was me, I would cut the nocks off and make double nocks, I'd also pad the serving on my string loops. Are you using Fast Flight type of string or B-50?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »
If it was me, I would cut the nocks off and make double nocks, I'd also pad the serving on my string loops. Are you using Fast Flight type of string or B-50?
i was actually just using a rope like a 1/4 across, hadn't had one made yet, but i am considering remaking with doubles

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:40 pm »
what if i put a thick fiberglass reinforcement on the tips? ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »
 You don't need fibreglass. Just add horn or antler overlays on tne  nocks like Pat suggested. And cut your angle different so you take the stress off the top of the groove.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:36 am »
You don't need fibreglass. Just add horn or antler overlays on tne  nocks like Pat suggested. And cut your angle different so you take the stress off the top of the groove.
th reason i wanted to use fiberglass is that i actually have some and what i would do is heavily reinforce it, like a 1/4 inch layer so i could keep the same tip, i know it wouldnt be the most effective, but i think it would work, and i could color it to make it look slightly like horn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:55 am »
 You can heat it some and drop thin Loc-Tite super glue in the crack and clamp it. Then add your horn and cut a groove in the other side. It will do the same thing and you won't have to redo the nocks. Or just wrap the crack and below it for a couple of inches with sinew, like someone else suggested. There are better ways to do it than glass. Once you put the glass on, it's kinda like contaminating it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sailordad

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 12:17:27 am »
yup stay away from that "fg"
once you start adding that to bows,you end up down in the around the campfire section and not the bows section  ;)
not to mention adding it to the tips is just a gateway drug,i mean addition
next thing you know you will be making all "fg" bows  :o
and then your doomed  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:04 am »
You can heat it some and drop thin Loc-Tite super glue in the crack and clamp it. Then add your horn and cut a groove in the other side. It will do the same thing and you won't have to redo the nocks. Or just wrap the crack and below it for a couple of inches with sinew, like someone else suggested. There are better ways to do it than glass. Once you put the glass on, it's kinda like contaminating it. ;)
i'm defiantly going to glue and clamp it but the reason i wanted to use fiberglass is it is the only practical thing available to me, i know it would be contaminating it a little, but i also have no experience putting horn on in any fashion and dont want to mess it up any more with an experiment. don't worry though, i would never put it on a whole bow and only would use it as a last resort

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:33 am »
anyone know where i could get antler big enough to fit over this tip that wouldn't be expensive?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:58 am »
My idea of "primitive" is using what you have available for what you need. If FG is all you have for overlays, use it. 
  Can we see the rest of your bow. Teasing us with just tips is cruel!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 02:41:27 am »
My idea of "primitive" is using what you have available for what you need. If FG is all you have for overlays, use it. 
  Can we see the rest of your bow. Teasing us with just tips is cruel!  :D
sure, i'll post them some time tomorrow, the reason i only posted that is i had to use my phone and i don't have a data plan, its a d bow, around 73inches 2 inches wide at handle, 1thick