Author Topic: Got some mulberry today.  (Read 1165 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Got some mulberry today.
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:53:57 pm »
Started the annual stave collecting today, seeing as it's like 60 here outside cinci ohio.  Finally got up the nerve to cut some mulberry down from a big row that has some bad bug damage real bad, and might be some fungus damage too. There alot of good pieces but most of them are way to big for me to split with my hackberry wooden stakes and my little hacket/broken hammer, I mean like most are either big old 30" diameter trees, or not very usable looking. Never had a piece a mulberry before, but was way easier to cut than osage! Got 2, one 56" and one 58" after sealing.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline fusizoli

Re: Got some mulberry today.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »
Nice rings there, good find!
 May not the best way for split it, u waste some of the compression wood side. I would use that part mostly....

I think it is enough for 3 bows this way.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Got some mulberry today.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:51:41 pm »
" May not the best way for split it, u waste some of the compression wood side."

I actually had to split it this way due to knots. But does the compression wood side makes better bows? Does it ever have a tendency to brake more often when unbacked than the tension side? Because the way I split it, I have a compression and a tension split, one with reflex and one with deflex. (wouldn't know from the ring pic though, it's all twisted and crazy like). The compression side usually has less knots on it and is of course reflexed so I usually use that one when in a situation like this, but only cause it's reflexed and with less knots. (and save the deflexed for fun later on, :) ). it actually split crazy, and I ended up with one that ill definitely have to leave the sap wood on from it not being too thick. But thats cool. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair