Author Topic: POWDERY WHITE MILDEW?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline hook

POWDERY WHITE MILDEW?
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:13:29 am »
Hey guys,
I got some Osage drying. After I split it there was some powdery mildew in the exact center of the heartwood.
do I need to do anything with this? the wood appears to be solid and in good shape except for that thin line of that white mildew.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: POWDERY WHITE MILDEW?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:07:35 am »
Are you sure it wasn't just the pith? It's in the dead center of the tree and is usually soft.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:31:50 am »
Powdery milder in the very heart of osage probably won't be a problem. It is in any rot or that might be there. If the wood is dry the mold(fungi, powdery mildew) won't thrive. it needs moisture.  You should know as soon as you begin to work the osage if it is sound through and through. My guess is you shouldn't have a problem.
  If possible remove the area with powdery mildew. It may help you sleep better at night instead of worrying about it.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hook

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:08 am »
thanks guys