Author Topic: 1st Hazelnut bow tillering  (Read 3693 times)

Offline snag

1st Hazelnut bow tillering
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:28 pm »
This is the my first try at making a selfbow. I have it tillered out to just shy of 28".....what do you think?

The right limb is longer and will be the top limb.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: 1st Hazelnut bow tillering
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »
Very very very nice. I would call it perfect.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
Looks pretty dern good to me also. Might be a bit stiff just off the right fade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:59:44 pm »
In the unbraced pic it seems like the left limb is taking on more set( Bending more near the handle than the other limb)  In the drawn pic in seems like the right limb is a little stiff near the fade.Take a little off there, recheck you tiller, and you should be set. Looking good though. Hows that wood to work?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:19 pm »
Hey Snag,
      Like the other fellas said, very pretty tiller on that. You have the symetry for sure. Ya didn't say how long the bow was, but ya may want to quit trying for more draw length at this point. The string angle looks like it is just about as far as ya may want to go. Just the length of the stick, cause your tiller looks very good.
rich

Offline snag

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:10 pm »
I'm sorry, it's 62" long. I felt there was a little more I could scrape so I didn't tiller it all the way to 28"...as I recall it's at 27.5" right now. HickoryBill, I see what you mean about a little stiff at the fade on the right limb. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes! I like working with hazelnut. It has been a good "first" wood for me. It has strength but it peels off pretty easy.
The left limb has taken on some set. I wonder if I should try and heat treat that out or is it too late as I am about done with tillering????

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:28 am »
nice looking bow

and set happens  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DEllis

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:37:24 am »
That right limb looks a bit reflexed to me right off the fade, that'll make it look too stiff even if it is working well.......not easy to tell though from a photo.
I have not done a ton of heat treating but the bows I did HT I did after I was all done tillering and it took a lot of the set back out.
Lovely looking bow for a first try or the 50th :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:01:27 am »
I think that's great, you will always get a bit of set with a Hazel self bow in my experience.
The tillering is V good, with that much bend you need the whole limb working, and I think it's very good especially considering it looks like quite a narrow bow.
If I had to be really picky I'd say maybe take a few scrapes of the last third of the right limb, but that's only 'cos I don't think you can afford too much stiffness in the tips on a bow working that hard (some folk will dissagree).
Watch out for chrysals appearing, if you see any sign of 'em, give it the heat treatment.
How wide is it?
I like the way the string/tip angle is just about to hit 90 degrees, I think it looks sorta right when it hits 90  :)
I think it's gorgeous.
Go on tell us ...first self bow doncha just love 'em?
Del
BTW. I dunno how your Hazel in the US compares with our UK stuff, so I could be talking out of my nether regions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:05:43 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:01 am »
Nice tillering Snag! That is a nice looking bow.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:24:45 am »
Snag, awesome tiller. You did well. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:13 am »
Thanks guys! There was times I questioned myself and what I was doing...I learned to just walk away from it and come back with a fresh mind later. I think this bow making will teach me patience. At 58 yrs old I guess I am a late bloomer! haha
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:22:48 pm by snag »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »
Looks really good Dave. What draw weight did you get out of it?
Gordon

Offline snag

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:28 pm »
Hi Gordon, it was your posting of making a hazelnut bow that led me to try hazelnut. I have to put it on the scale again. As I recall it was at 45#@27.5" last time I checked. I think I'm going to build a caul and try and straighten that one limb that too some set. I'll heat treat both limb bellys to see if I can bring up the poundage.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:23:22 pm by snag »

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 04:37:18 pm »
looks good to me, wouldnt worry about steaming out set.  I find leaving a self bow at full draw on a tiller stick to photo can subject the bow to seriously unnecessary strain that it wouldnt experience under normal use and cause set...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......