Author Topic: Lost thread  (Read 6329 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Lost thread
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:20:35 pm »
Ok iv been searching in the search box for a old thread I think half eye posted of a Mollegabet bow that had some nice relief carvings on the back. But I can't find it I think the search thing is brain dead lol it never finds what I am looking for so if any of y'all can remember what it was called please  let me know or post it I would appreciate it. The reason I'm am looking for it is because a friend is interested in making one he is big in to Viking stuff and want to make some Viking like bows

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline bubby

Re: Lost thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »
go to his profile and check out his posts
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »
Is this it?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18035.0.html

I searched for "mollegabet not for bom"
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
thats not the one but it will do i remember he had a carve along one that showed you how to do the relief carvings il check his back posts from his profile thanx for the quick replys and help :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:54:49 pm »
sterling,
     If you can remember basically what the pattern was I can send some pics to you if ya'd like. Or could post 'em here if ya dont mind high-jackin yer thread.
rich

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
sterling,
     If you can remember basically what the pattern was I can send some pics to you if ya'd like. Or could post 'em here if ya dont mind high-jackin yer thread.
rich
np your the man all i remember is you showing how you carved the designs i think they had boar or dragons on them with some Norse or Finnish texts im tryn to get all the info i need so i can help him along with building this style bow here are a few questions what is a good wood? do you use a board or a stave/ and what are the standard  dimensions of the mollegabet style

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:31:05 pm »
skyarrow,
      Here are some "layout" info for the Mollegabet the way I do it.  If you are going self bow then try Red Elm, Hickory, Walnut, Ash etc. If you want to do some backing then pretty much any wood will do and the red oak, white oak, hard maple etc will make real good bows.
       All I use is fully quarter sawn "boards" that I cut myself. The other thing that will save some grief and wood is 1-3/4" wide working limbs for up to around 55/60 pound bows and 2" wide for heavier weights. 2" on 50# bows would be only necessary for "looks. Also most of the Holmegaard and Mollegabet were made from Elm.
     I will find the carving pics and post them as soon as I dig them out.
rich

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:45:10 pm »
Thank you so much rich I'm thinking for his first bow like this a redoak  board will work the only place I know to find it here is lowes