Author Topic: Friends I've never met  (Read 3099 times)

Offline NTD

Friends I've never met
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:05:45 am »
I know this has been said before and will no doubt be said again, but there are some great people in this community!  It's a niche of people unlike any other I know, and I'm honored to be a part of it.

I received an absolutely unexpected package in the mail from Cameron yesterday.  Inside the package was a gorgeous tooled leather Armguard that he made.  Sneaky guy too because I've never given him my address.  Thanks a bunch Cam.  I'll get some pics up tonight.
Nate Danforth

Offline Parnell

Re: Friends I've never met
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »
Very cool.  I like reading stuff like this. 
1’—>1’

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:34 pm »
i agree.  there are some good people out here on the internets.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:21:53 pm »
 Nate;

You've done the same thing, Buddy. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:40 pm »
I tell people all the time that people that make bows are the nicest most generous group of people that I have ever seen.  Everyone is quick to offer advice and help whenever they can.  Now, if you want to see the opposite, check out taxidermy.net. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »
I've been on PA for quite a while and have met(cyberwise) lots of very nice, cool people that are as generous as any other group I know of. The coolest thing was the first year I went to the Tenn. Classic. I believe there were over 30 PA folks at the Classic that year. Getting to actually meet folks and shake their hand and spend a fun filled weekend with them turns them into real people and not just a user name. Each year since I have met more and more PA folks and this year looks to be better yet.
  This is a wonderful community of real people here on PA...but it takes a village!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:13:05 pm »
I'm making plans for 2012 Pat, I look forward to meeting a lot of the folks on here. 
Nate Danforth

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »
I've never met anyone on here who would not go above and beyond, I have had more great trades than I can count. The people I have met at the classic have been outstanding as well. There is a wealth of free knowledge here.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »
I agree, Nate.  And it's people like you that make this site so successful and inspiring.  A hearty thank you to all the moderators that step on incivility and rudeness before it gets too far out of hand. 

I like to think that if I was ever traveling somewhere out in the big bad world and ran into trouble all I would need to do is log on at the local library and I'd have someone close by to call on.  That's the caliber of people in here!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:58:05 am »
I'm glad you like it Nate.  Hopefully by now you've had a chance to break it in a bit :)  I haven't shot a bow for months now, but it might get close to melting temperature today, so I think I might let a few fly in the back yard.

Since I haven't had the chance to use mine yet, I am curious as to how durable the sealer on the leather will be.  I used "Super Sheen" from Tandy, but it looked and smelled like it was just thinned-out white glue.  I put 3 coats on it, so I hope it works well in the long run!

By the way, I had some help from someone else on the forum with your address.  I wanted to surprise you so, so it had to be done in stealth-mode! ;)

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
Folks I have read PA magazine for a few years and my wife just gave me a subscription this past Christmas. Real new to the message board but am very impressed with the people involved. I don't build bows but Lord knows I shoot 'em after a fashion. You people turn a kinda intimidating  and strange ( by some standards ) activity into a community event. And I need all the help I can get! Thanks to all of you. Mule people are good but you guys take the cake.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »
JW, I have no doubt you'd have a PA guy helping you out in no time. ;)

Cam, I haven't had a chance to break it in yet :(  Been pretty busy,  Spent all day yesterday digging a pond with a friend.  Will let you know how it goes though.

Johnston, Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy it here.

Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:09:53 am »
I managed to get about an hour of target practice in today, after it stopped snowing  :P  Man was I rusty!  It's almost as hard finding arrows in a snow bank as it is in knee-high grass :)  The fence in the back yard caught a few strays too.  I bet the neighbors are glad I built such a high fence this spring :)

After an hour of shooting though, the other arm guard I made didn't have a scuff on it, so I think they're good to go.

On another note, I would also like to thank all of the fine gentlemen on this forum for selflessly sharing their knowledge and expertise.  You guys are a rare breed, and I'm so glad that there's a resource like this for a greenhorn like me that just got into this hobby (obsession!) last October.

Cheers!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
Beautiful arm guard,great gift.Also yall are right,best bunch of folks I have ever had the pleasure
being around. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good