Author Topic: Bow layout ?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline snag

Bow layout ?
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »
I have started a couple of bows. One is a hazelnut bow and one is osage. I need to do some heat treating at this point. But my question pertains to the limb length and positioning the grip area. Having read and viewed some info on bow layout I was instructed to mark the center. Then mark the top of the grip 1" higher and the bottom 4" lower. This leaves an upper limb 3 inches longer than the lower limb. As I understand it you want the lower limb to be a little stiffer than the upper...but do you really want the upper limb to be that much longer? I've noticed a lot of very finely crafted bows on here and don't remember them having that much length difference in the limbs.  Looking back on it now I would think you'd measure the center and then place the ends of the grips an equal 2.5" from center on both sides....? Or maybe an inch difference instead of 3" difference.  What is your thoughts on this?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bow layout ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »
I have made them with 1" shorter bottom limb.  I have also made them with even limbs and just left the bottom limb a little stiffer.  Both worked out, but I prefer the limbs even length.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:51:42 pm »
I prefer symmetrical bows so I mark out the center of the bow, 2" either side of that for the handle and 1 1/2" to 2" for the fades then the limbs. Both limbs are equal. For me, a symmetrical bow is easier to see proper tiller. You can do it either way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:53:40 pm »
I used to lay them out 2 in one either side of center. Then I went to 1.25 above center and 3.75 down.  Bottom limb 1 inch fade and top limb 2 + inch fade.  Both limbs the same size. That got too complicated. It also didn't really allow me to flip the limbs if I had to. I went back to the simple design. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:01 pm »
So, do you think I should short and change the width of the top limb to match the lower limb or just leave it and tiller from there?

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »
I keep my limbs the same length and tiller the bottom limb a little stiffer than the top. What kind of bow are you building?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:09:33 pm »
I do what Okie does.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »
One bow is osage and the other is hazelnut...(what us Oregonians call filbert)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:42:19 am »
Yeah, the 1" up from centre is pretty standard, but there's plenty of leaway to make 'em how you like.
What I don't like is excessive handle length effectively sortening the lower limb.
Especially on short selfbows, I like to use the fade as the bottom of the grip, this can save you an inch or so of nonworking limb.
I don't like the whole plank with a little bendy bit on the end look, like those fancy modern take downs with cast alloy risers... what's that all about?
I find the grips on my bows are generally getting sorter with every one I build.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.