Author Topic: Has anyone worked with Eucalyptus?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Has anyone worked with Eucalyptus?
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:32 am »
I ran across a source that has an abundance of "Lyptus" boards. Its beautiful stuff, Salmon in color and seems very dense. Wikipedia says its a hybrid of two types of eucalyptus that grows faster than regular. Does anyone know what its strengths or weaknesses are in relation to tension and compression? Isn't there listed somewhere a density chart on various woods?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone worked with Eucalyptus?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:27:40 am »
There are a few species of Eucalyptus that will make bows. Whether this variety will or not I don't know. If it is reasonably priced give it a try and let us know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:50:25 am »
I suppose I should conduct my first bend test and compare it to the osage and hickory I have on hand.  Does anyone know what the general density of Eucalyptus is? I say general because as I have fouund out there are tons of various species and I also understand that can vary from tree to tree, but I am just curious. I figure if it is realy dense than it will give me a good idea as to whether or not to make it wider or narrower.I really don't want to waste my time on one if the odds are not at least 50/50. Call me lazy I guess.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »
I tried Eucalyptus and I seem to remember that it was very similar to red oak, but harder and more brittle.  The bow broke during floor tillering and I threw the rest of the board away.  I was just starting to experiment with ipe at the time, and the Eucalyptus didn't even come close to the excellent properties of ipe.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »
I've just pruned a nice limb of a Eucalyptus in my garden, dunno if it will be any good, but I'll rip it and set it aside season.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.