Author Topic: Splinter Fix?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline okie64

Splinter Fix?
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:22:52 am »
This bow pulled a splinter up about 14 inches from the tip on the left limb. Could I wrap it with somethin and glue it to hold it down or is that going to make a hinge there? It pulled 50# at 28 "  and took about 1- 1/2" of set before heat-treating. Heated in 2"of reflex and was gettin the tillering touched up when the splinter pulled up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Splinter Fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:27:26 am »
You can super glue the splinter and clamp it. Once cured put a wrap on it. Use sinew, silk thread, unwaxed dental floss or other strong but thin thread set ib glue.
  Will you post a pic of the splinter. Is it near the scorched area on the side of the bow in the pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:26 am »
is this a board or stave. if board i would sand the back down some and back it with 1/8th inch hickory

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:13 pm »
How long and how deep is the splinter? Wrapping and gluing usually works if it's not to deep/ long.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:07 pm »
The splinter is about an inch long. I glued it and clamped it back down. I'll let it set and then wrap it. This bow was kinda an experiment. Its only an inch wide in the middle and 3/4" at midlimb. It was a leftover piece of a hickory board that I got two other bows out of so I figured if I could get another one from it it would be a bonus anyways.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »
Depending on how pretty you want it to be/not be, if you don't have any sinew or whatnot to wrap it with, you CAN wrap it with plain on duct tape after you glue it back down.  I have done that with green army 100 mile an hour tape (OD green duct tape) and it works fine.  It isn't pretty but it works. 

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:17:28 pm »
Dental floss and super glue held up so far. Got it tillered to 50# at 27". Still holdin 1.25" of reflex when unstrung.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »
when ya get it finnish tiller, wrap the other end anda couple of other spots and it will look pretty good, lot's a bows with wraps on here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:11:09 pm »
That's a great tiller!  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »
Finished this one up and shot it today. Ended up 52# at 28". Was going to put a handle wrap on but I kinda like it the way it is. Shoots really good.

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 12:23:02 pm »
I decided to wrap the dental floss with hemp cordage and put a matching one on the other end and the handle. I thought it looked pretty good. Coated the whole thing with mink oil too. Never tried mink oil on a bow but I had some so I figured why not.