Author Topic: Shellac for bow finish  (Read 5609 times)

Cacatch

Shellac for bow finish
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:23 pm »
I just read the article on using shellac, pro's and con's, and I've been wanting to try shellac for a long time. Where is a good place to get this and is it very expensive? I would post this on the trading post but I don't really have anything to trade.

Thanks
CP

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Shellac for bow finish
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »
Shellac is my sealer of choice for decoys.  Very easy to apply, dries fast, and with some light sanding has good tooth for painting.  I've always bought mine mixed at Lowes or Home Depot.  I think you can buy the flakes from Lee Valley if you'd like to mix your own.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:24 pm »
Shellac in a can has a relatively short shelf life. If you only use it on occasion get the flakes and mix your own in small quantities. It mixes with denatured alcohol.  I keep a spray can of shellac on my work bench for sealing staves and bows as I'm working on them.
  An old wood finish that bowyers of old used is called French polish. It is a 50/50 mixture of shellac and boiled linseed oil. Makes a beautiful finish but you have to replenish it on occasion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »
Pat, how much did that can cost?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:27:18 pm »
The spray is about $8 a can. kind of expensive but for as little as i use it's concenience is worth the cost.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:47:59 pm »
Anyone ever use shellac to finish arrows?

Cost: Did a search on line and it seems the going rate is about $25 a pound for flakes.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
I often use shellac out of the can from Lowes (Bullseye I believe) for finishing my bows and arrows. I think it's a pretty good finish and I really like the fact that it doesn't smell too bad and dries quickly. Makes for a nice indoor finish during the winter when my unheated garage/workshop is too cold for finishing work.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:30 pm »
I use shellac all the time for bows and arrows as well as a binder for paint.  A pound of flakes lasts a LONG time if you build only a few bows/arrows a year.  I bought about 3 pounds of flakes two years ago and it's about half gone.  Lower grades are cheaper and perfectly OK for primitive stuff.  Spit coats will conserve the shellac also.  I usually apply one spit coat and then a heavy coat followed by a coat of wax or oil over the top of the shellac.

You can also use shellac flakes to make a natural hot-melt glue (similar to using pine rosin).  Shellac melts at a higher temp than pitch, so be careful.  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:51:24 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr