Author Topic: Question on cane shafts  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Question on cane shafts
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:38 am »
Whats the best diameter on each end for cane arrows?
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on cane shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
When I cut raw cane I cut ones that are about 3/8" at the base. An open end 3/8" wrench is a handy gauge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:12:46 am »
Pat... Do you cut them first then use the wrench? that's what I do. Then I cut the as much off the small end that I know won't come close to the spine I'm looking for. Then spine them and since I use a node for self nocks, I cut the shaft at tha end and the other as needed. Hope that made since ???
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:08 am »
Hey Rick, that is something I have also been wondering also. I cut a bunch of cane last fall and when I started sorting them I found some of the nock ends are too small for what I like. I have thought about drilling a hole in a slab of wood then cutting the side out to make a gauge. Then slide the gauge over the shaft until it hits the right diameter and cut it off there. That would be the nock end and hopefully all the point ends will be close to the same size when finished.

The river cane I cut will usually have a little bit of a flat spot running with the node, so I'll have to watch for that.

It may also be possible to find cane shafts that shoot well from a particular bow, then make a gauge for the nock end and cut shafts based on that nock size (speculation only at this point).

I have not noticed cane shrinking after cutting and drying, but I have never actually measured it "before and after".
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:40:27 am »
Cane, like other natural arrow materials will shrink as it dries. The sizes given are an approximation. I cut what looks right to me. The wrench is just a simple gauge for folks unfamiliar with cane or shoot arrows.
  I make all my arrows 29" long. I want the large end as close to 3/8" or slightly less and where ever the 29" length ends up at the nock end I go with that. If it is too small I will pass it up for another.  There are different ways to deal with a small diameter nock end. You can make seperate hardwood or horn nocks for them or even overlays on opposite of each other forming the outside of thye nock.
  I sinew wrap every self nock no matter where it is located on the shaft. If no node is near, that doesn't matter, it gets a sinew wrap that will sufficiently strengthen it enough to work whitout failing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:58:35 am »
I understand the large end being about 3/8,I was just confused about how small the small end could be,I shoot 28-29" also. I have a unlimited supply of river cane,In florida it grows like weeds! I have a bunch cut and dried, got to make time to try it out . Thanks for the input
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »
I just measured 2 culms of hill cane and at the base they are 3/8"mol and at 29" the small end it 5/16 on one and 1/4" on the other. I would have no problen making hunting arrows with self nocks with these culms. I would even go a bit smaller. If you think about the forces on an arrow when shot most of the energy goes right into the shaft from the rear. If properly tuned there should not be any side forces that would comprimise a smaller diameter nock end. With a sinew wrap, it will be quite solid. Some primitive arrows around the world don't have nocks per se but use the flattened rear end of the shaft against the string.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:01:34 pm »
Thanks Pat!  thats what I needed to know.  Now I can fix me up a little gauge  like longhunter suggested.  Back to the shop!