Author Topic: Cherokee Flatbow  (Read 10410 times)

Offline okie64

Cherokee Flatbow
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
I finished this bow a couple of weeks ago. I'm wantin to do one like this from black locust but havent got up the nerve to work  BL yet. Got the dimensions from Jim Hamms Encyclopedia of Native American Bows. 49# at 28", 67" ttt, 1-1/8" wide except for the last 8", tapers to 1/2" tips. I did make the tips a little narrower than the originals. Pretty simple bow and is a lot of fun to shoot. Thanks for lookin.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Cherokee Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:11 am »
Sweet looking bow,very well tillered.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:30:46 am »
i really like Indian style bows. simple and effective. you did a real good job. i assume you are an Okie, have you been Ojam? I'll be there this coming spring.

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:01:12 am »
Looks great ! nice job  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:34:01 am »
Looks really nice Jamey....I like the Tiller ....also looks like that Storm that went through here got you guys in Oklahoma too! We just got battered with another one last night....another 8 inches of the white stuff...and 50 mph winds on top of it all!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »
Jimmy, yes I'm an okie and never been to ojam but I plan on being there this year.
El Destructo, The snow is still comin down hard right now. Supposed to get another 8 inches today. I'm about tired of it myself. I dont know how the guys up north deal with this stuff.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:50:06 pm »
Quite simple...They Know How To!.....They have the Equipment to move it...all Homeowners have Snowblowers and Scoops to get rid of it...They plan their daily commute to work 30 minutes early...to move snow out of driveways to get to the Street...and they also have learned to enjoy it and have fun in it...I still after 29 years of being away...miss it bad...miss Skiing...Snowmobiling...Ice Fishing...and Skating...it's not for everyone...but it's been bred into Me! Wish you could make Pappy's Party in May...if you have any thoughts on it...and need assistance...let me know...I'll get you there!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:11:13 pm »
Nice Cherokee bow. I love these simple bows. They shoot quite well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »
good  looking bow, well done....simple is best...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »
 That is a fine looking bow. Is it osage ? BL ain't so bad,just be picky about the tree you cut,nice straight bark pattern and at least a foot in diameter ,don't rush it either,let it sit and cure for a couple of years. I get the bark off,split and the ends sealed and set her aside.(Might want to give her a good coat of raid too).  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
nice bow. I love the simple d bows. tiller looks spot on. good job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »
Sorry I forgot to mention its Osage. I got 3 Bl logs about 12-16" diameter that have been sittin in my shop for a couple of years. Probably gonna try some of it out pretty soon.

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:12 pm »
Dang Okie, That's a sweet bow. them simple NA designs suprise a lot of people on how much power they can put into an arrow.
rich

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »
Okie,
ya did a fine job. I like them indian style bows.  Bend thru the handles are fun to shoot. That one should do good in the field. Maybe see ya at OJAM.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:20 pm »
Nice job!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA