Author Topic: steaming bending question  (Read 2376 times)

Offline krusty

steaming bending question
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »
Well, I've gotten pretty good at steam bending tips into recurve... my question is how many times can you do this until the wood (in this case, hickory) weakens? I've done it twice, and I may need to do it a third and final time to get it just right. Good idea  or not?

Offline half eye

Re: steaming bending question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:25:29 pm »
Krusty,
      Cant say about hickory.....but I steam bend walnut, elm, and ash. Have done some of those 2 & 3 times with no ill effects. As a matter of fact I sometimes bend the bows twice, on purpose, to get exact bend that I want if it's severe. Dont have hickory but elm might be close to it, and I did not hurt it......hope that helps some.
rich

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:24 pm »
   I've did at least a dozzen hickorys. But never did tips twice I always used a caul. You get the same everytime.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline eflanders

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:33:55 am »
You can do it again and again.  The critical thing will be in how much time you allow for proper rehydration.  If the bend is radical, you may want to use a metal strip to back the piece as you bend it and clamp it.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
Sorry not trying to hijack here but do you ever get checking problems with steam? The one time I steamed a handle of a apple bow I got a big crack where I steamed?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:27:26 am »
If you steam dry wood I would suggest you seal the area with shellac before steaming to prevent the possibility of checking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:52:22 am »
aaaww I see thanks pat
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:37 am »
Why do you need to steam it again ??? did the recurve not hold or ,are you trying to Aline the tips,If you are just lining the tips I use heat the 2nd and even 3rd time. Sometime more if I need to. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline krusty

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:43:05 am »
The problem I had was after successful steaming, there was uneven spring back, so the tips were not symmetric. I'd like to get it just right. I just wasn't sure how many times you could do it.

As a side issue, I'd recommend to anyone interested to go to the Lee Valley website, a woodworking site. They have a great, free download on steam bending. They also have great suggestions on building a bending board to make it easier, as well as steel straps for sale. I don't think you need to buy them there; they're really for more elaborate bends than you'll ever need for a bow.