Author Topic: Is it ok  (Read 4376 times)

Offline wvarcher

Is it ok
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »
   To keep Hickory and sugar maple outside.  I just split a big hickory and a big sugar maple log in half.  Not enough space to keep them inside very long.  I would like to seal the ends with shellac and leave the bark on so i could move it all outside.  ill probably cover the wood up with something.   

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Is it ok
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:35:40 pm »
Down here any wood left outside with the bark on gets borers in it.  I'm working on freeing up my shop attic space but so far all my wood is still outside.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »
    So i have to worry about bugs also!  I was only thinking the wood may check a little.   

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »
If you cover it I don't think you'll get any extra checking on the split side because it's outside.  I honestly don't know how bad the borers are up in your neck of the woods, but they're terrible in Texas.  I cut some mesquite and it looks like swiss cheese after about 4 months.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:43:48 pm »
Whitewoods are very susceptable to fungal infection. By covering the wood you will only perpetuate the problem. Fungi lover dark moist places. Storing bow wood outside is not a good idea unless it is sheltered from moisture and kept off the ground.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:47:00 pm »
George,i wonder if the wood borers were already in the wood when u cut the tree.  

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:56:38 pm »
Pat,thanks for responding.  I can keep the wood as is or continue splitting it down to 3-inch wide staves if that will help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »
Some wood bores are present as eggs in the bark but soon hatch once the tree is cut or the temperature is correct for their survival.
  The smaller you can get it the sooner it will dry. Taking the logs to stave size is ideal but you still have to store them properly or all your work is for nought!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:01:11 am »
Thanks Pat, I should've let you handle this one as I have almost no whitewood experience.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:15:05 am »
Thanks Pat, I should've let you handle this one as I have almost no whitewood experience.

George

thanks for responding,George.   I didn't know i might be serving dinner for some bugs.  There not going to eat my wood!
     I asked the sawmill for smaller logs but they did not have any.  Darn back is still hurting from the splitting and lifting. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:33 am »
  I spray all my staves with a pestside. (LOWES)  Lots of times when I add to my stash the next year I'll spray everything down again. If your going to go through all the work it's wort a few bucks.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
Spray baby spray. Borers love hickory sap wood and maple will spalt in short order. Ignore the pain in your back and keep at it till you have the logs reduced to staves and the staves inside and sealed.Even though you will end up with more staves than you need the dry staves are good trade goods!!!  I got 17 staves from one hickory tree.