Author Topic: Finish over snake skin  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Granite Mtn

Finish over snake skin
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »
Over the years I have tried a lot of different types of finish on selfbows from wax or grease to thunder bird spray on.  Each has it's pluses and problems.  I have recently the last 3 years begun using minwax quick dry poly 4 brushed coats with 2 spray coats of spar over top.  I have noticed after several years of use all the finishes mentioned and some not will form small cracks in the working portion of the limb on the back of the bow if the bow is snake skin backed.  My question is does anyone have a method of finishing snake skin bows so that these cracks do not appear.  I have noticed this same cracking in all older bows I have examined that have been snake skin backed.  I know why these occur I just do not know how to prevent it.  I was considering several coats of true oil to harden the hide then switch to the poly?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Finish over snake skin
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »
I put about 6 coats of tru oil and call it done.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:30:09 am »
I have tried tru oil before it does not seem to hold up well and after several years it gets very yellow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:55 am »
I use Tru-Oil on all my bows(skinned or not) and have for years. I never had it crack, never noticed yellowing and am totally satisfied with the finisk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:18 am »
I was lucky enough to meet Ed Scott last year at Cloverdale.  I asked him what he uses to finish his bows with because they were very smooth, but had a flat finish.  He said he uses 2 parts of TBII to one part water.  It made the skins look amazing.  I haven't tried that yet, but plan on it this year.  I have used Tru-oil over snake skins with great rusults.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:46:38 am »
Tru-oil
The only way to fail is to never start !