Author Topic: price for ipe  (Read 7062 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: price for ipe
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »
At 1' wide you'll get 3 bows out of it That's the size of the one i made for Rich
how thick should the lamination of ipe be, as the board is 1in thick?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 01:59:05 am »
 The one that was to Rich started out as a 3/4 thick x 1 wide
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 02:02:28 am »
The one that was to Rich started out as a 3/4 thick x 1 wide
in the finished bow, how thick was the ipe lamination, and how heavy of a bow was it?
thanks
noel

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:27 am »
This may not answer your question but to give you a idea of how a little amount of this wood can make a very heavy bow I just glued up a boo backed Ipe bow I havent started takeing wood off yet just band sawed down to a starting point and I can barely get it to budge at all with push pull method. Its 66" long, limbs are 1 1/8 wide tapering to 3/8 at the tips the (thickness) of just the ipe is 1/2" off of the grip at the widest part of the limb to 3/8 at the tips, I dont think I would have a problem easily building a 100# bow at my draw length 24" if I wanted to pull that much weight, but im only going for 60# or so, so I will have to remove a good bit of wood throughout the tillering process. Also you can see my boo backing is tapered from 3/16 at the grip to just a hair more than a 1/16 at the tips so its really not adding much to it being so stiff. Just want to give you an idea of how little is needed for a heavy bow. sorry the pictures arent great ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:27 am »
This may not answer your question but to give you a idea of how a little amount of this wood can make a very heavy bow I just glued up a boo backed Ipe bow I havent started takeing wood off yet just band sawed down to a starting point and I can barely get it to budge at all with push pull method. Its 66" long, limbs are 1 1/8 wide tapering to 3/8 at the tips the (thickness) of just the ipe is 1/2" off of the grip at the widest part of the limb to 3/8 at the tips, I dont think I would have a problem easily building a 100# bow at my draw length 24" if I wanted to pull that much weight, but im only going for 60# or so, so I will have to remove a good bit of wood throughout the tillering process. Also you can see my boo backing is tapered from 3/16 at the grip to just a hair more than a 1/16 at the tips so its really not adding much to it being so stiff. Just want to give you an idea of how little is needed for a heavy bow. sorry the pictures arent great ;D
thanks for showing me that, i guess i underestimated how dense ipe really is, as i haven't actually gotten my hands on any yet, i cant wait to try to use some though. how are its characteristics compared to Osage, thats what i have mostly used so far, with a few exceptions. good luck on that bow, it sounds like it will turn out great, know if i could only find a way to launch a fishing lure out with an arrow my life would be complete ;D
thanks everyone for all the advice
noel