Author Topic: board question Another question about Hickory backing added  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
board question Another question about Hickory backing added
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:59 pm »
A friend of mine had some boards laying around and asked if he could make a bow from this and I honestly didnt know its 6' long 3" wide by 3/4" thick, it has very straight grain all the way around. thanks for any info. I have seen a few of the board bow build allongs but still need help lol thanks O ya its white Oak

Also I would like to get some hickory for backing bows what should I look for when choosing a board for this? How thick should I rip it? Should it taper it at the tips like bamboo backing? I havent found anywhere to get Hickory yet around here but when I do I want to be ready. thanks

Josh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:07:29 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: board question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »
grain looks straight enough. the only thing I would question would be the thinness of the growth rings. I have used 2 boards with that thin of rings and it seemed brittle, almost dry rotten. but both my boards were stored in my father-in  laws shop for about 10yrs.  Someone more experienced will have a more definative answer. Eric
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »
Elktracker,
        I use quartersawn wood, and the Northern Michigan woods I cut are nearly allways "slow grown" (tight-ringed) makes great bows....got elm, both oaks, maple, ash, and others with really tight rings (1/32" and there-abouts).......but that's just me, a lot of the other fellas dont think much of the idea....but it works for me.
        With oak, ya do want to check for grain sworles....they can show up as "figure" in a quartersawn board and thats why they used it for furniture.....in that case ya will want a backer. Otherwise, it should be about tough as nails. The oak would/could also serve well cut into backing strips (straight grained) for other woods.
rich

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »
K thanks for the info we will give it a try and probably back it thanks again

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)