Author Topic: sinew,...any specific warming pot? etc?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline 1776J

sinew,...any specific warming pot? etc?
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »
Getting ready to step[ into the wonderful world of sinew!

I'm wondering about what to use to keep the glue warm/hot??
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap electric melting pot or something I could throw on the stove to keep it warm,...could I use a double boiler setup?  How warm do I want to get with it?

Maybe something like this???
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-chocolate-melting-pot/10542204

Or this??
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_195000000CM10GCAP?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Or something real simple for the stove such as a simple steel pot??

Thanks in advance fellas! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:03:50 pm by 1776J »

Offline Keenan

Re: sinew,...any specific warming pot? etc?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:03:59 pm »
I use a old skillet on the wood stove. Keep it to the side and low heat. Also can use an old crock pot on low

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »
My wife bought me a cheap crock pot at a thrift store and I fill it half full of water and float another container with the glue in it in the water. If it starts to get too hot unplug it and the residual heat in the water will last a long while.  If you can find a crock pot with a temp control that might better but this one I have works.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »
Better than all the above ( in my humble opinion) is a slow cooker.... I bought a small one for £12 /$20 it has a thermostat that maintains a steady 60 to 70 degrees C ( depending on high or low setting) and doent go over that, this is the perfect temp,  I'm no expert so get a second opinion but I've done a few backings made loads of glue and had no failures with the glue at this temp., hope that helps
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »
I used the heat plate from an old coffee maker in the past.  My wife bought me a nice electric double burner hot plate that I plan on using from now on.  If it doesn't have a low enough setting, I will use the double bioler set-up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »
cheapest slow cooker you can find is the best. Perfect temp and you don't have to worry about it getting too hot

Offline 1776J

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »
Sounds good fellas,....
The slow cooker with temp setting sounds like a good idea,...this way you know exactly what you have.

I'll hit the thrift shop tomorrow.

Again,.. thanks guys!
I've been working on a hickory piece for the last few days,..(I put away my osage bow I was working on for now,...seems oddly dry??)

Anyway, I'll post photos of the hickory bow later.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »
A few shots of the hickory bow I'm working on now and then that I'll be throwing some sinew on....

(You can see how the right limb seems a little high)

(You can see that the right limb's recurve is a little more than the left,.... oh well,...maybe I should re-bend the left limb???.... I'll figure it out)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:27:21 am »
I use a pan about like Keenan in an old elect skillet with water in it,I keep a thermometer in the glue and just adjust the heat a little up or down if needed. Don't get it to hot or it will cook it. I am not sure on the temp. but I have mine where it is hot but not so hot it burns my fingers when I dip them in to get the sinew out.I would say about 135/140. Bow is looking good. We sinewed a Hickory a few months ago and it turned out really nice. :) Keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 1776J

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:39:40 am »
thanks pappy,...
I'll keep ya posted,...

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:22 pm »
Osage seems dry? Be careful. I had a couple bows fail from the wood drying out. In the winter time here in Utah, in the new house I am in the floor vent heaters sucked the life out of wood. After a couple snapped bows I got a humidity meeter and noticed it was only 20%. I got a humidifier to bring one room up to 50% and another one to bring a small room to 70%+ to give life back to dry wood