Author Topic: Set?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline SiongSA

Set?
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:12:44 pm »
Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me if when you draw a bow to full draw it takes its maximum set then or is it gradual

Sion

Offline Parnell

Re: Set?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »
Hmmm, I figure that once a bow is tillered to full draw and sealed to avoid moisture the bow should be pretty well "memorized".  That being said, if wood bows are placed on say a tillering stick and held at full draw for an excessive period of time, greater set will take place.  Remember that set happens and is the sign of a healthy bow.  You just don't want it to be excessive.
Hope this helps.
1’—>1’

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
That helps ablot, cheers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:28:46 pm »
Some bows will gradually take on a bit of set as they  first get used, especially if they are pushing the performance of the wood or the wood isn't seasoned.
A bit of set is ok in my book, it shows the wood is working hard and it's better than a broken bow or chrysals!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline eflanders

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »
Remember too that some woods will take on moisture even though they have supposedly been sealed.  Hickory for example.  These woods may then take on more "set" accordingly...  Fortunately this type of "set" can usually be reversed in a dryer environment. ;)

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:50:43 pm »
I actually like and 1" or 1 1/2" of set in my bows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:13:31 pm »
After I shoot my bows for 100 shots that's about it I use a rope and pulley for tillering and exercise the limbs 20-30 times between wood removals which helps with breaking in the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!