Author Topic: Pruning Roses for Shafts  (Read 1695 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Pruning Roses for Shafts
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
It's another snowy day in sunny Dallas.  It's time to prune the rose garden and I took a look at them the other day.  Will a rose stem with branches still make a shaft?  Her roses are pretty tall, but very branched as well.  They are not climbers, just haven't been pruned in a while.  I'll post a picture or 2 so you can see.  We're at 5" of snow and still snowing.  And, I could use pointers on pruning methods as well.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pruning Roses for Shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
George, roses love to be pruned. The more they are purned(within limits  ::) ) the better they bloom. Roses bloom on new wood. For proper pruning go to just above a bud(perferably outward facing) and cut at an angle. Early spring pruning can be pretty drastic; say to the second or third bud from the base of each limb. Remove any crossed branches and branches growing into the middle of the plant.
  I think just about any rose will make arrows and the ones with branches are at least 2 years old and better for arrow shafts because they are more mature. I can't help you with the snow though!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC