Author Topic: Question regarding adrenalin in the bodyies of successful hunts...  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Question regarding adrenalin in the bodyies of successful hunts...
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 11:41:24 am »
I was always under the impression that it's the lactic acid (or lactate) that builds up in muscle tissue when it's over worked without enough oxygen that sometimes ruins the taste of meat.  Another reason to try your best for a clean kill!

This. It won't ruin the meat, but it'll sure make it tougher and stronger-tasting sometimes. As someone said, aging it will help. There is a world of difference, for example, in the meat from a bear that you shot from a stand and one that was run all day with a pack of dogs. It'll still be edible ,for sure, but not as good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
 I have come to believe that gamy tasting meat is due to poor field dressing more then any other factor. Years ago i used to gut and bleed out like most rifle hunters due, That is until an old gent scolded me and explained that cutting the gut sac open and wallowing in it was the worst thing you could do. He showed me how to skin and quarter way faster then I could ever gut out an elk. and explained that it is the hair and enzymes and bacteria in the gut cavity that ruin and give the bad taste. Now I skin the up side and lay the hide back (hair down) peal off the the front quarter, back quarter, backstrap, and all the neck meat, on the one side. Bagging it as it comes off.  then roll it over and do the same to the other side just the same. What you end up with is a backbone and rib cage with an unopened gut sack attached. No mess, No wallowing in the guts and blood. You can then trim out the meat between the ribs and after that cut through a few ribs, Pull them back and go in for the heart, Tenderloins and liver if you want that,
 I watched some show a few days ago and some guys had just shot a moose, He went on to explain that you have to open and get the guts out to cool the meat. I was horrified as I watched him totally contaminate the meat. First of all, The best way to cool the meat is get the hide off. Even if you open the cavity the only part you are really cooling down in the rib cage. The whole time you are doing that the hide is holding the heat on the biggest portions of meat, the hind quarters and front quarters. Those are the largest portions and the best way to cool them fast is skin and separate.   As far as adrenaline in the blood stream, My thoughts are is that it happens so fast that only a bullet straight in the brain would stop it and I have never noticed that being a factor anyway. In my opinion, It is poor field care that is the absolute biggest factor in gamy tasting meat.

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »
I gut and hang my deer asap, i could see on animals like Elk and Moose going the gut less method.

I've never noticed a difference in the taste on the deer i have eaten. I've butchered deer the same day and after hanging for a week, and it's all good ! Now when i worked as a butcher and seen some of the deer people would bring in, i can see where some people would get a gamey taste  ::) Bladders still in the deer, heart and lungs still in the chest cavety Mmmmmm good stuff  :P

The only way to fail is to never start !