Author Topic: question for you tree guys  (Read 1567 times)

Offline GaryR

question for you tree guys
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »
Are Osage asexual? The reason I ask is I would like to grow them for my son who is 18 months now. I found some horseapples from a lone Osage this last fall and I think i have sprouts, but it could be weeds too. I was just curious if an Osage could pollenate itself?
thanx,
   Gary   

Cacatch

Re: question for you tree guys
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »
I don't think they are. I have read that there are male and female osage trees. The male trees don't have balls...ironically...or perhaps I have it backwards :-\   Anyhow I know for sure I have read they are male and female and one of the two doesn't have balls.

CP

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:25:30 pm »
There are male and female and the female has the fruit. Both make good bow no matter what they are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:24:09 pm »
yup, ill second and third that.  there are male and female.  there are 4 of them at work, two are male, two female..  ive been hoping that my boss will get tired of having to have the apples picked up to cut them down! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:29 pm »
So, can a lone female have seeds in the fruit?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
I am certain that a lone female can have fertilized fruit because of pollination due to wind and inscects.. I'm not an expert, but I wouls say yes..  ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.