Author Topic: New Bowyer needs help  (Read 2831 times)

Offline wildkatt

New Bowyer needs help
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:50:41 am »
Ok I have been collecting logs for a while for wood stove and never worried about what kind.All wood burns (lol).Now i have logs going back 20 years, have identified all the black walnut but have more to identify.Latest one i split is very hard, smooth bark, white wood with redish core. bark black from age. Any help would be appreciated. Most importantly will it make a bow lol.

Katt   
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Bowyer needs help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:29:19 am »
Sounds like elm and it makes a very good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:22 am »
Hi,  Pictures would help...alot.   Bow making requires straight, well seasoned wood.  Not just dried, but dried without checks and splits, then protected from moisture and insects.  Wood collected for burning seldom gets premium treatment.  So the wood you have on hand may be of an excellent species for bow making and still be worthless ( except as fire wood.) 
Assuming its straight, dry, and has no rot or bug holes most wood over .40 specific gravity can be made into a bow.
If you want an accurate species ID, pics and info on your location, would really help.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »
Will post pics later. this batch of logs was removed from a crawl space under house and has been stored dry and bug free for at least 20 years.Most of it is black walnut, but theres some other logs mixed in.Those are the ones im trying to identify. Split one last night and very strait and has minimal knots.Very hard wood. I live in colo. so it could be anything lol.

Katt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:29 pm »
The only elm I have split just about killed me.  That stuff doesn't want to come apart.  I would rather split a dozen osage logs than one elm log.  If it split easy, it might not be elm.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »
Hi,  Smooth dark bark, white wood with a darker core, splits and  splits straight, from CO.  Definitely not an elm!  It could be russian olive.   Russian Olive is definitely a reasonable bow wood, ( though I have't had a chance to try a stave yet.)  I've got an idea, why don't you send me a stave and tell you if it made a good bow!!!    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:32:39 am »
Well ill give it a try. Will post some pics as soon as i have some time to take some.

Katt

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »
OK figured out what the mystery wood was lol. Its maple next question will it make a good bow as a self bow or am i going to have to back it.

Katt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »
Hard maple(sugar maple) will make a good bow.
 I have one concern about that wood being in a crawl space for 20 years. Was it on bare ground? If so it is probably not fit for bows. If there is any discoloration in the white wood I would be leary of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »
No the guy really knew what he was doing, he had it elevated from the ground and covered. He even sealed the ends lol. I cut a stave down to a workable size last night. Will post pics as soon as i have time. Mite have time to work on it tonight we will see.

Katt