Author Topic: Havin fun  (Read 1484 times)

Stringman

Havin fun
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:51:38 am »
I've been workin with this obsidian quite a bit lately, and I really have been enjoyin it! I know it doesn't present alot of the challenges that chert and flint do, but I feel like I'm developing a good feel for the angles and pressures. I still have a little burlington, but it's not very good quality and they are smaller pieces. SOOO, until I get some better stone, this will have to keep me busy.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Havin fun
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
I would say you are 'developing a good feel for the angles and pressures.[/quote] pretty darn well. Those look real nice.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »
Yes, some fine looking points there! I bet you could knap just about any kind of rock ya want to now :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »
My Opinion:  I think obsidian is good for beginners and for really accomplished knappers.  I have a few examples of both.  Your points are very well shaped and the symmetry is good so I think if you have some good quality heat treated flints, agates or jaspers you will find working them has big rewards.  For instance a pressure flake from a good platform is far more apt to be honest and will travel in the direction you intend.  Its no big leap from obsidian to other materials and you will really enjoy the challenge.  Good Luck!  Indian Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:10:16 pm »
I like the way you think Indian Joe... Got any you aren't using just now?!? ;D

Honestly, I agree. And I have had the opportunity to work some of the nice stuff, but don't have access to it on any large scale. I occasionally get a chance to pick up native rock from the creeks in Wetern IL, but I haven't found anything great over there yet. Also I haven't figure out how to heat rock yet, so that option ain't availalbe to me either.

It's a journey, and I'm still enjoyin it, so maybe I'l learn a little more before I die.