Author Topic: basket quiver  (Read 8873 times)

Offline thomas h

basket quiver
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:00:44 pm »
finished another  basket quiver 20" x 5" made from white oak strips top and bottom is  3/4' wide for 5 rounds for added strength the rest is 3/8' bands  need to stain  or let it age natural  thanks for looking any suggestions would be respectfully  appreciated.-tom   ;D
the bow  is a wonderful little re-curve  i got from  nugget .

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:11:57 pm by thomas h »

Offline Bevan R.

Re: basket quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:33 pm »
Very cool. Mind telling me where you learned this. I was not 'sold' on the basket quivers at first but must admit that they are growing on me.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »
i learned from mostly trial and error and there several  places you can google  for step by step  information. try ( how to make a basket quiver)it has a lot of  instructions.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:34 pm »
You cut your own strips? ???
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:23 pm »
no way i get them from a  basket maker shop., sort of cheating but  im  to old and shaky ;D to cut the strips

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:01:10 am »
Nice basket quiver. I have made a few but none with white oak yet. If you look around the woods there are lots of natural materials for basket making. Honeysuckle vine, blackberry canes, grape vines, scally barks and I used choke cherry bark strips on the quiver that Lulyn got from me in the Christmas Exchange.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas h

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:31 am »
i have  made some from grape vines  made one from cattail but  it fell apart. ;D

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:38 am »
Very cool, Thomas.  A basket quiver is high on my to-do list for the near future.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
The cattail leaves might work well with a coil type basket .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
 Nice !  I am really liking the look of basket quivers. I hope I won't have to make me one.(Got too many things going on now). Oh well........Gonna have to start looking around for materials. Thanks for the info and picture. A walnut hull stain would take off some of the shine,but it looks really good the way it is. Good work  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »
Nice quiver. I am learning basket weaving right now.  I just finished my third and really like weaving. I have been using #4 round reeds and like them alright, but want to mix a little wood strips for accents. I think you just convinced me to try more flat material, that's a cool quiver!
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline thomas h

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »
thanks, these strips are 1/2 rnd. really strong when  dry/ and a good walnut stain was what i was considering.got  lots of walnuts  from my tree

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »
I like that look very cool  did you line the quiver with anything. I was wondering about sound for hunting.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:25:12 pm »
One thing I did with my basket quivers is to put a leather disk in the bottom to protect the quiver from field points(and broadheads too). I used contact cement to get it to hold fast.

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
For protecting the bottom of on of mine I cut rawhide lace and wove it first. The only problem I had was that it wasn't supported very much. I'm gonna follow PatB and use a leather disk on my next one. PatB is the basket quiver master.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!