Author Topic: Gary Davis ruined me  (Read 9002 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Gary Davis ruined me
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:52 am »
I built my first self bow with Gary at the Great Lakes event last year. Last night I went to the Kalamazoo Expo and watched him sinew a bow and then continued on and checked out the rest of the vendors wares. When I was on my way out I stopped by Gary's table and informed him that this was the worse show I had ever attended and it was his fault. I said that I had found I had zero interest in looking at the many beautiful "glass" bows. He just looked at me grinning from ear to ear. ;D
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Gary Davis ruined me
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:22:06 am »
I here ya Steve. I remember when I traded the wheels in for glass... never expected to turn the glass in for nothin but wood, but I did and will never go back. I see you're from Otsego, I'm from Rockford, MI., 15 minutes north of grand rapids. I'll be at the show tomorrow. What, when and where is the great lakes event?
Rockford, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:12 am »
He must have liked that a lot. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
Hey Tattoo Dave, I'm located in Holland and plan on being there early tomorrow as well...hoping Gary is still doing his workshop tomorrow and I may have to sit in on the Knapping workshop as well.

Would love to meet a folks from here while I'm there but since I have no faces to go with names it might be "blind luck."

Safe travels!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:10:29 pm »
Hey Dave, The Great Lakes Long Bow Invitational is at Charlton Park Village east of Hastings in the middle of August.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:43:50 pm »
yeah...I've shot a glass bow...still doesn't feel right to me...probably will never shoot another one again.

I really find no beauty in measurements and grinding laminations and fiberglass.

All wood for me :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:47 pm »
Love it
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »
I just returned from the Kzoo Show late this afternoon after sending the whole day there with my two young boys, 11 & 8.  It would be a major understatement to say it made a very large and positive impression on these two young men.  While I enjoyed seeing all the major "glass bow" vendors I mainly attended in hopes of seeing some of the selfbow makers and their wares.

I couldn't have been more proud and pleased than when they asked if we could leave the "Big Vendor" room and go back to talk with Marty Tarrant and Gary Davis (Rattlestick Bows) as they explained the process of making a selfbow from Osage and adding sinew backing to them.  Very nice gentlemen who kindly answered all my ignorant questions.  Gary was a true mentor and as we were leaving his demo booth he asked my boys to hold on for a second...he then proceeded to open up his glass case full of Rattle Snake skins and cut off two sets of Rattles which he gave to my boys.  They left the show so amped up about this Sport that I think they are ruined for life 

Anyway, this was a great show and will likely be an annual for the boys and I.

Regards,

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:14:11 pm »
 Gary Davis has been doing that for years. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1776J

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:50:27 am »
Have only spoken to Gary over the phone but, wow, what a great guy!
 :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:23:52 am »
Great story and yes he is a good guy for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:54:10 am »
Well, I ended up not making it to the show >:(...For sure next year though. Hi Lee, we are not that far from each other, maybe we could get together and fling some sticks this year. Steve, thanks for the heads up, I'll plan on going to the great lakes show, maybe we could all get together there...Would love to meet some fellow michiganders.
Rockford, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:23:05 am »
Sorry to hear you missed the Show Dave (it wasn't THAT great...ok, I'm lying  ;D)  Anyway, I'd be happy to join ya to fling some arrows, anytime...just drop me an email/PM, etc.

Thanks again,

Lee
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
Hey Pappy, Gary had the bow you made him on display at the Great Lakes and at Kazoo. That one nock dives off at one heck of an angle. Very cool bow.