Main Discussion Area > Arrows

primary

(1/5) > >>

jamie:
recent discussions here would have you believe the primary feathers are the only feathers for fletching. they are more durable but i have to disagree. i shoot from 10 yards to 100and so on and expect perfect flight at all distances. the thing is i dont use only primary feathers. i even mix primary and secondary on a shaft with no ill results. i think if you need to do so that there is a good chance your arras need to be tuned to the bow better or there is a form issue that needs to be worked on. just figured id stir up a hornets nest and post this lol. peace

billmac:
I don't have an opinion but thought I'd jump into this thread with more questions.  Do you folks use both sides of the feather, assuming the feather is tall enough?

Hillbilly:
Jamie, I use secondaries a lot too, and they fly fine. Billmac, I use both sides of the feather when I can. Just treat the other side as if it came from the opposite wing (Don't mix both sides of the same feather on one arrow). Even the little off-sides on primaries make good low fletches, no trimming required.

Justin Snyder:
I think the major difference in primary and secondary is how much spin it adds to the arrow. If you cut them short, there isn't as much difference in primary and secondary stiffness as there is from one type of bird to another.  Justin

Pat B:
I use primary, secondary and tail feathers, left and right wing...and tail.  The tail feathers have more color than the wing feathers.   Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version