Author Topic: my hunt for wood; and its results  (Read 2267 times)

youngbowyer

my hunt for wood; and its results
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:22:57 pm »
My hunt for wood started on december 12th. i decided to take a walk through a tanglewood that was across the street from my house. I had eyed that wood for a while now but never got to going into it. i finally did and i found myself not knowing what any of the trees where apart from a couple birch and red oaks. So i decided i needed to learn how to identify trees. After 2 days of studying "bowmaking trees" that grew in my region i set off again. I was kinds dissapointed because most of the trees were cherry. however i forced myself to keep on walking. And, after a while i find 4 awesome black locust trees. next day i returned with my grandfather's bow saw. I cut a 4 inch black locust and took it home with the help of my friend. A week later, we started cutting a 14 inch black locust and after 3 weeks of cutting and chopping it fell. However, i was so sick of sawing i secretely took our crappy 18 inch electric chainsaw and after going through 6 batteries i cut the other part of. On christmas eve day i split the tree and hauled a 30 pound log home by myself not doing that again. So now i had 6 pieces of black locust. Next i found 2 eastern red cedars one cut with my chainsaw and one with my fiskars hatchet. they were both around 4/5 inches diameter. My neighbour set of "exploring" one day and he said he found another forest. I checked it out with him and there i got 2 white oak trees and 1 sapling and 2 eastern red cedar. The cedar was really clean and it split nicely. i also cut a cherry sapling. I now have something close to 10 staves. I also spotted some overgrown yew bushes but im not sure if they belong to someone. they have really nice clean straight branches. i will try to cut one when spring comes and the leaves will hide what im doing. here are some pictures of all the wood i have now.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: my hunt for wood; and its results
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »
That cedar does look nice....I hope you are getting it all legal.  Dont want to get into trouble with anyone.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
Any interest in trading???   >:D >:D >:D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:22:43 pm »
What are you looking for? Little short on money right now and I hav another trade going on and my mom makes ne pay shipping costs and the costs of a box myself so perhaps in a month or so

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »
A good looking ERC stave 65 to 68 inches about 2 inches wide. As free of knotts as possible( I know that's nearly impossible) I wanna back one with sinew.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:29:56 pm »
that looks like a good haul, have fun with that stuff

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:17:39 am »
Good for you. Looks like sone nice staves there. Jawge