Author Topic: my new osage need help!  (Read 3781 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
my new osage need help!
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:20 pm »
looking to how to finish the tillering one limb is reflex the other is not right/left in respect. trying to figure out how the right limb bends more than the left or should it bend more than the left. to make the arch the same if not should they just bend the same amount.
doc

Offline gstoneberg

Re: my new osage need help!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »
In that case I personally would put the reflexed limb on the bottom, leave it stiffer and then go for the brace and full draw profiles I want.   I'm sure you could make it more of a science, but I wouldn't.  I've tried to heat bend in similar reflex in the other limb in cases like that, but it usually came back out in the tillering.  Right now it looks to me like that reflexed limb is bending more than the other one.   I would work at getting it on a short string and then low braced.  Post up a picture then so we can see how it's going.  Be careful not to overstress it at this point, especially near the handle.   It looks like it'll be a real nice bow.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:35 pm »
Looks good so far. Tillering a bow with that amount of reflex is pretty hard. Take your time and get them bending even.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:12 am »
One with a lot of reflex will really fool you on the weight,when you think it is just about right ,it is usually to light,so go slow and get it braced as soon as you can,you will think it is heavy but it usually ant. :) Looks pretty good starting out to me. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:51:23 pm »
   I did this quite a few times sence I quit useing heat. Just tiller the reflexed limb keeping the weight you want untill both limbs will end up been evenly. As you tiller the limbs they'll end up beening the same.When unstrung you limbs should come out to look the same. Your reflexed limb will be a little thinner. Unfortanently your reflex will be gone.
   It you chose to use heat just make it the same. But I've found out if one limb is heated the reflex don't stay as well as the one thats not. So I and a little more to the heated limb. This way as you tiller your limbs will tiller out the same. But I've also found out if atfer a while if shot alot. The limb you added the reflex to will go out of tiller.  This is why you here of bows having to be retillered.
  I never seen or heard of a bow haveing to be retillered if TILLERED RIGHT and wood is well seasoned only when HEAT was used.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DEllis

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »
I may be way out to lunch but I usually make the more reflexed limb the upper limb. More reflex means it's strained more and more likely to weaken a bit with use(take more set) and I like the top limb to be slightly weaker.
I'd tiller them both to look as close to equal as possible and use the more reflexed limb for the top.YMMV
Best of luck,
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline jturkey

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
ok i need to know reflex limb top or bottom i have heard both here it is at 3in brace height
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:41:59 pm »
i see a little bit of a tiller problem on the reflexed limb will leave it alone and work on the non reflexed limb som to even it out.it takes a picture to show me some of theses thing i miss with the naked eye.
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:42:41 pm »
another shot
doc

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »
Hard to say without looking at a partial draw, but based on what I see there it looks to me that the left limb is the stiffer limb which is what I would put on the bottom if the string is tracking down the center of the handle.  You have the reflexed limb quite a bit thinner which would also make me think it should be the top limb.  Of course, it was me that said I'd put the reflex limb on the bottom.  I've been wrong before...probably will be again. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jturkey

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:02 am »
full brace 6" looks ok outsidebutoncei see thepics i see where things could be better
doc

Offline DEllis

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 06:46:22 pm »
Looks pretty good to me so far, with the left limb being the bottom. I've been wrong a time or two as well :-\ ;D
I'd continue to tiller it out and see how things go.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »
I'm confused about the 2 strings. One is for the braced and the other? :) jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jturkey

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
the two strings. one is braced and takeing all the weight the otther one i use to string the bow i use double notchs on my bows after i had a 60 maple bow break using the push pull method and busted 2 teeth out. and after a elm stave broke across my leg using the step though method so i looked into using a longer string to string it and found a double notched bow for just this reason and it works very well.
i'll post a picture of it on the post my bow on here in a few minutes
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:58 pm »
here are the new pics of the osage just got a chance to work  outside. let me know where you guys see any problems. in the tiller
doc