Author Topic: Checking on the back?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Checking on the back?
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:02:47 pm »
I have an osage stave that I thought was cured ( 2ys) in the wood shed). It originally was sealed on the back and ends. I chased a ring down. It had some heat manipulation needed and I don't have a caul yet so I set it aside ( indoors). It has been in the haouse for about a month now. I was looking at it the other day and it has developed some linear cracks in the back. Is this going to be a failure problem? I had roughed it to 2" wide the fuill length and 1" deep on the belly, so I think I have enough there to chase down another ring if I have to, but I would rather not unless I have to. What do you guys think?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Checking on the back?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:19:54 pm »
If the cracks are only hairline, and mostly in the middle of the limbs it shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't hurt to put some type of cloth or leather backing on it.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:55 pm »
Even though you thought your stave was cured if it was outsiude it had gained equilibrium with the local R/H. Bringing it inside has caused it ti dry more and thus the drying checks. Just fill them with super glue and you should be fine unless one runs off the edge of the bow.
Any time I remove wood from the back of a stave I seal or re-seal it with shellac. Shellac will prevent the checking and is easily removed to add a finish although most finishes will go right over shellac.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
This is the first place I've had staves outside and I'm seeing that too.  Worst of all, there's 5" of snow sitting on the wood I just split which will all melt tomorrow.  Everything will be wet again.  I have got to get my wood inside.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:59:26 pm »
Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah Pat I normally don't get started on one and not finish it, once I have the ring chased so this was a first for me. I think I will use the super glue idea and shellac as you suggested. None of them run off so I should be fine. Thanks again  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:08:19 pm »
Also, dense, oily woods like osage orange take a long time to dry no matter how you store them.  It's not uncommon for an osage stave to require 3-5 years to fully cure.  Even dense white woods like white ash, white oak and hickory take longer to dry than many suspect, and I think that's why so many people have negative experiences with them in terms of taking excessive set.  A good moisture meter is a good investment!