Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Feathers

<< < (3/5) > >>

Broken Arrow:
Awesome.  Thanks guys.  I just thought if I had some chickens, I would have a steady supply of feathers.  I thought about getting turkeys or ducks, but they were 5.99 a peice as apposed to 1.99.  Next year, I might get a few but for now I'll stick to chickens.
How do you guys get peacock feathers?  You farm them?   Do the feathers look good on the arrow?  Are they radiant like the tails?
Sorry for the child-like questioning, but Im new at this and have a ton of questions.

Justin Snyder:

--- Quote from: Broken Arrow on May 15, 2007, 05:10:27 pm ---Sorry for the child-like questioning, but I'm new at this and have a ton of questions.

--- End quote ---
We are all like little kids with toys when it comes to our bows.  ;)  Peacock wings are just grey.  I actually have some white peacocks, but the feathers look like white turkey feathers.  I have seen arrows at the museums that were fletched with woodpecker. They were only about 3/8" tall. So I imagine you are only limited by your creativity.  Justin

Kegan:
Almost any kind of feather can be used as a fletching, and even things that aren't feathers! I've perosnally used crow and cardinal feathers before. I even got a few nice flying arrows with a thin peice of birch bark uesd in the seminole one fletch method. Worked great out to twenty yards. Tear all to heck if the hit the dirt, but work nicley if you don't miss too much ;D!

Coo-wah-chobee:
   Peacocks roam free in my neighborhood. Not only are feathers good fer arras but, ahem-they taste like chicken ;D......bob

Pat B:
Here are a few of the 2 fletch arrows I have. The one with the large arrow head was made by James Parker. I don't remember who made the other.  I've seen James make arrows from dog fennel stems and fletch them with pine needles. All you are doing is slowing the aft end of the shaft so it will fly straight.    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version