Author Topic: serving jig, your recommendations?  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Frode

serving jig, your recommendations?
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
Hi all,
Back when I got started on all this, I picked up a serving jig.  It's plastic, red, OK as these things go, I guess, but it doesn't let me serve strings near as easy as I see done about.  It is real hard to keep tension right; it either winds the bow string up tight, or slips and drops on to the table, losing all the wrapping I had up to that point.  Usually both.  I figure I'm not holding my mouth right, or there's a better tool, or both.  I'd be happy to hear your suggestions or recommendations, PM me if it involves branding, please.
As always, your wisdom is greatly appreciated,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: serving jig, your recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:09:40 pm »
Hey Frode I just lock my bow in my vice and serve by hand... It's alot easier for me than trying to use a serving jig.  I have about three different ones (one of them home made) and I can't get as good a serving as by hand.  Try it and see if it helps to do it that way.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Barrage

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »
I use a very poorly made homemade protype that worked so well I never got around to making a proper one.  I find it works better than by hand, mostly just because there is always tension on the serving, and I'm faster with it.  By hand works good though too.
Travis

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:48:35 pm »
I've used several brands. Ended up with the "Little Spinner" that 3Rivers sells. It works well enough. I liked the "Tornado" also.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:19 pm »
I've only served a couple strings, and used one that's probably similar to yours Frode.  I found that even with the nut at a constant tension, the string tension still changes depending on where it is feeding from the spool.  When coming off the center of the spool there's less tension, and then as it reaches the ends of the spool it feeds out harder, I'm guessing because of the sharper angle and increased friction where the serving feeds into the hole on the server.  I think it's just inherent to that design.

Offline hook

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:46 pm »
I did my first one by hand, the bloody groove it left in my thumb has since healed and I now have a "little spinner" from 3 rivers.
not that I'm a sissy...just don't like sore thumbs!

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:49 pm »
Sorry to go dark there for a couple of days, guys, business and a big archery event.  Thanks for the responses!  I've served the majority of mine by hand, because I couldn't keep the tension steady.  Every so often I drop the spool about two thirds of the way through, which provokes me to bad language, heh.
I should probably chalk this up to "character development" and keep on practicing.
Though this smacks of a design challenge.  Hmmm.  I f I build a better "mousetrap", will the world beat a path to my door?
Thanks again, everyone!
Frode

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Frode, try wrapping one of those fat rubber bands that hold broccoli  bunched together around the serving spool to help keep tension and keep the spool from unrollong if you drop it. This was my first serving tool years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »
I just twist in one end of the serving string into the bow string then brace the bow...then I just wrap the rest of the string around a couple fingers and slide it off squeezing it together into a squashed circle.  I use B50 string material so its already prewaxed and sticks together.

Or I just wrap it around a 3 inch piece of arrow shaft....doesnt fall or go anywhere...I just unwind as I go.

I proceed to serve by hand with the bow in my lap.  No grooves or painful hands.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »
Frode I have used multiple string servers and imo the best one on the market is the Cajun Archery Stringserver  it keeps constant tension and is very easy to use and very fast. I purchased mine at Archerys Past for $10.00 as I purchase all of my gear if I dont make it my self, John Strunk told me about this store and the owner Dave Doran is a pleasure to deal with and imo has the best prices around period................. Here is a picture of the server
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »
   I would double check and see if you have it threaded through the holes properly. It will work more than one way but not hold proper tension as you describe, I think their are little arrows you follow right on the server when threading. Steve

Offline Frode

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
Frode, try wrapping one of those fat rubber bands that hold broccoli  bunched together ...
I just twist in one end of the serving string into the bow string then brace the bow...then I just wrap the rest of the string around a couple fingers and slide it off squeezing it together into a squashed circle.  I use B50 string material so its already prewaxed and sticks together.
Or I just wrap it around a 3 inch piece of arrow shaft....doesnt fall or go anywhere...I just unwind as I go...
Frode I have used multiple string servers and imo the best one on the market is the Cajun Archery Stringserver...
   I would double check and see if you have it threaded through the holes properly. It will work more than one way but not hold proper tension as you describe, I think their are little arrows you follow right on the server when threading. Steve

Thanks!  I will try all of those, starting with rechecking the path on mine, and on from there.
Frode