Author Topic: Jute Wrap  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Jute Wrap
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:59 am »
I think I'm gonna wrap my newest selfbow handle with jute cord.  I plan to seal the osage with parrafin ... would you wrap the handle and seal over the cord with the wax, or would you seal the bow first then wrap the handle, leaving the jute 'dry'?

Looking for a little advice on how to appraoch getting it done.

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Jute Wrap
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:15 am »
I would lay the wrapping in TB 2 or 3 and seal over it; done it with all sorts of wrappings, even leather lace handle wraps.
Frank from Germany...

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:32:18 am »
I go with what MW said. If you don't the jute will wear quickly and come unravelled.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:12 am »
I would braid the jute first. Braiding looks good and gives a little "build" I usually wrap and then soak with spar varnish but glue should work just fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:26:35 am »
When I do any wrap and especially cord wraps I like to seal the wood under the handle first then add the wrap and seal that. I like knowing all the wood is sealed before adding a handle wrap. I use Tru-Oil for bows but usually use Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) for cord wraps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:50 am »
I've done two bows with jute now and finished the bows first. I tried sealing one of the jute wraps but it felt awful. The other I did nothing, just wrapped it tightly, and so far it's holding up great and is a lot easier to hold, at least for me.

Cacatch

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »
I like jute wraps and when I do mine, I just wrap it on the bow before I seal or put on a finish of any kind on the bow. I spread titebond II on the bow before I wrap mine over it. Then, when I finish the bow (usually with a mixture of pine pitch, beezwax and lard) I go right over the jute wrap several times and you'd be surprised how nice the fibers lay down and how nice it feels in the hand after it's been gone over and soaked all that in. Also, it does not remain greasy and the color turns darker. It actually doesn't look like a jute wrap after it has had that and you handle it a few times. It looks like something more sophisticated, like a leather wrap with imprints or something.

CP

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:26:08 pm »
 I seal my bows first then soak the jute in warm water and TB3, like I do sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »
I'm with Pat B and MUllet, seal the bow completely then add your handle wrap. You can seal or coat the handle after. If you don't get that twisted fibrous string wrap sealed good, then moisture could get trapped under it against an unprotected wood....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:05:03 am »
Well, of course I seal the handle area with varnish before I glue on a handle of whatever kind; wrapped/laced handles I seal ove just as the rest of the bow.

One question here: how good a sealer is TB 2 or 3 ??? It's waterproof, but does it seal?
Frank from Germany...

Offline DEllis

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 12:37:06 am »
Well, of course I seal the handle area with varnish before I glue on a handle of whatever kind; wrapped/laced handles I seal ove just as the rest of the bow.

One question here: how good a sealer is TB 2 or 3 ??? It's waterproof, but does it seal?
It keeps the ends of green staves from checking on me in 35% humidity........I'd say it seals pretty fair.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!