Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Cherry Bark Backing Build Along

<< < (2/4) > >>

DanaM:
Nice build along Joe, also looks like a nice snaky bow. Is that some osage ya traded for?

DanaM

Stickhead:
Great stuff, Joe.  Thanks for posting.  I definitely plan to try that one of these days. 

How about a couple more pics of the finished product?

Also, can anyone chime in about the properties of this kind of backing?  Is it more decorative, like snakeskin, or functional, like sinew?

duffontap:
Strunk says Cherry bark is at least as strong as rawhide and tends to add weight to the bow.  Cherry bark shrinks when it gets wet so it can tighten up with a little finish applied. 

Great build-along.  If you hold the rough side over steam for a few seconds you can use a plastic spatula to scrap the rough part off in about one sweep.  This leaves a perfectly smooth surface.  Not that I'd argue with your results!

J. D. Duff

GregB:

Joe, great build along...thanks for doing it. The bow really looks good!

Couple of questions if I may? Did you score the logs to first remove the bark? Also, if the bark is to dry/brittle, could you soak and rehydrate and start the drying process again until it is right for using? I have some cherry tops from where I just had my lot timbered last week. I'm afraid I may have waited to long to easily remove the bark...

BryanB:
Joe-
Thanks for the build along, it looks great.
I have been considering adding a long strip of cherry bark for decoration purposes.
It's my understanding that if the bark is being added for "backing" or strength purposes that it need to be a circumfrance cut, not a long cut along the trunk.
That is why Strunks bows usually have several wrappings to hide the joints.
Did you find that to be the case?

Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version