Author Topic: Some chilly day knapping  (Read 6478 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Some chilly day knapping
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »

Yup, George. Power is on and off this am - mostly off. Had time to make about half a cup of coffee :(. Your over around Lake Lavon area? We're probably not 50 miles apart..

At home we're lucky and have not had any outages, but our power comes from Greenville.  Not so at work, we had at least 4 this morning.  Yes, we're not that far apart.  I need to bribe you for some knapping lessons, those points are great.  Heck, that broken one would go on one of the bamboo shafts I'm fighting to straighten just fine.  I wouldn't mind tagging along on a flint run if you want company some time.

Better send this before power drops out again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 09:17:09 pm »
George: I'd be more than happy to go on a rock run with you or anybody else anytime I can - seems like I'm ALWAYS hauling them rocks by myself ;). A little knapping session is always welcome too.. Thanks everybody for the comments :). Did a few side notchers today. Didn't have that much time - was rounding up firewood, jumping off the trucks, cold weather stuff etc...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 09:39:34 pm »
FRIGGIN SHOWOFF.................. ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »
Hahaha, Mike - I actually spewed beer out of my nostrils on that one :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »
more nice work  8)

whats the red stone and wanna part with a little?  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
No can part with the red stuff. Got that in a trade awhile back with Pete. Not Pete C. but the other Pete, haven't seen him around in awhile. That's actually tile and I only have two peices left :).

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:55 am »
More beautiful stuff Paul. Was it Coors light you spewed.  :) Don't be wasting that stuff. :)
Ha is that pretty little gal of yours shooting that bow any ? She is a sweet girl,Miss Joanie really hit if off with her. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 10:03:46 am »
Thanks Pappy! I only wasted a couple of drops :D. She doesn't shoot it much, usually only when I mention it. She's getting all excited about going back to TN though :).

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »
Paul, that red stuff is tile?  I guess you can't get it at the local depot store?

Very cool stuff.  Really admire the way you are able to make the long, slender blades!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »
The red stuff looks like what was jokingly called 'Crawforite' around here. A small gas station in Crawford NE was being torn down and some guys salvaged some red and white tiles from the building.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 05:23:30 pm »
Yep, Patrick - it's tile. I would'nt know where to find it but also would'nt mind finding a bunch of it, maybe I can find an old gas station being torn down ;D. You might check out tile stores I would imagine it's out there - prolly high dollar tile. Here's the last remaining two..