Author Topic: Steam treating vs. heat treating wood  (Read 5013 times)

Offline eflanders

Steam treating vs. heat treating wood
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »
Like Marc St. Louis said there seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding heat treating wood.  One of things that I believe some are confusing is that there are two common reasons why people heat treat wood. 

The first reason why people would heat wood is to form it to a shape.  This can be done with dry (heat gun), moist (steam) or wet (boiling) methods.  For bowyers, all three methods can successfully soften the cells of the wood enough to allow for bending / shaping.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each of these methods.  One rule of thumb for bending wood states that you should use dry heat for dry wood and moist heat for wet or green wood.  But one also must bear in mind other factors like: Material thickness, Wood species and the Degree of bend needed when choosing the most appropriate method to use.  It is also very important to remind everyone that whatever method you choose to use to bend the wood, it is the critical that the core of the material reaches the magical temperature (approx. 140' F) before the bend will maintain in the material after the clamps have been removed and all of the material has returned to the relative humidity of the environment it is in.  A perfect example of failing to reach the proper core temperature and/or not waiting long enough for the material to return to the relative humidity is when you clamp a piece onto the form, wait till it cools, remove the clamps and the wood cracks and/or springs back close to it's former shape.

The second reason people heat treat wood is to alter / improve some of the natural characteristics of the wood.  Certain wood species can gain shear strength, improve the elasticity and harden with dry heat.  Many of these improvements do not occur if you use moist (steam) or if you boil the wood.  Ash, Junipers, Hickory, Maple, Bamboo all are woods that respond positively to dry heat treating when done properly.  A good primitive example of heat treating to improve hardness exists with the native American Indians who would heat the tips of their arrows in the fire.  Again, reaching the proper temperature for this process is quite critical for consistency.

I have been asked if one can re-heat treat the wood once it has been treated before.  The answer is Yes if you are trying to re-form the material but No if you are trying to add strength to the material.  I have also been asked if you can boil or steam a piece of wood to form it and then use dry heat later to hardness.  The answer is Yes but one must be extremely patient to do so successfully.  The potential problem here lies in the time needed for the wood to return to the relative humidity.  If things are rushed, the material will surely crack.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Steam treating vs. heat treating wood
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:47 am »
Good info,thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Holten101

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:15 am »
Good info.

I do disagree on the following: "I have also been asked if you can boil or steam a piece of wood to form it and then use dry heat later to hardness.  The answer is Yes but one must be extremely patient to do so successfully.  The potential problem here lies in the time needed for the wood to return to the relative humidity.  If things are rushed, the material will surely crack"

I allways steam shape ref/def and then, when the piece is surface dry, I proceede to dry heat-treat the same area. My experience (only on Yew, Elm and maple) is that the the new shape holds better (I do allow it to rehumidify before stressing) and I have never experienced cracking or ill effects.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:17:11 am by Holten101 »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:51 am »
Excellent. Thanks for taking the time. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:30 am »
Good stuff, thanks. This is another example of why this site is so valuable. We are constantly raising the bar on bow building information available to everyone.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:27 am »
Well said !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline eflanders

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:41:56 pm »
Grunt,

Regarding your slight disagreement:  What I was referring too is if one wanted to first form a piece with steam and then want to add (flame tempering) / hardening to it.  For example:  You have a snakey piece of ash and it needs to be straightened with steam because of it's thickness.  Can one then follow up and flame temper / harden the material afterwards successfully.  The answer is Yes.