Author Topic: My first selfbow w/ more pics (many thanks to all that helped)  (Read 13668 times)

8up

I went to the Tennessee Classic last weekend and decided I wanted to attempt building a selfbow.My time was limited as I got a late start on Friday and had to spend half of Saturday attending my daughters wedding. I ended up getting the last stave the had. It was Ironwood (hop hornbeam) and I worked it slowly for fear of ruining my first attempt. I left on Sunday with it unfinished but Pappy told me to come back and we would finish it. I want to Thank Everyone for their Time and Patience and for sharing their knowledge. ( Thanks Pappy, Greg, Tom and all the others I never got the name of)

During the week I built a bench and mounted my vice. Friday I mounted leather in the jaws and started where I left off on the limbs. Not equipped with enough knowledge to know better I was trying to get one area down to the next growth ring on the belly of the bow not paying attention to limb thickness. I gave up for the night before removing all of the growth ring and I'm sure glad I did.

Yesterday I went back out to Twins Oaks and found out I had taken to much from the mention area. With the help of Pappy and Steve (Thank you) we were able to save it. Steve taught me how to remove wood faster than I had been doing. I learned how to use a long string and tillering stick as well as how to determine where I needed to remove wood and more importantly were not to remove more wood from.  I was hoping for 45# @ 26" But was really pleased with a finished weight of 40# @ 26" Its 62 1/2" long. Today I cut out and glued on a small leather shelf. I then strung it and shot 5 shots at 5 yards then moved back to 10yds 4 of the first 5 were in the vitals and all 5 on the next round found their mark. I have some finish sanding to do then seal it and add a leather grip.  NOW where can I another stave?  ;D .......Ron
Finished bow is here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2453.0.html

This knot I want make an eyeball and name the bow "ICU"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:12:23 pm by 8up »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My first selfbow w/ pic (many thanks to all that helped)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:39:31 pm »
Another ADDICT!!  Glad you made it to the Classic.  That is definitely the way to start out.  Now lets see some more pictures of the bow, unbraced and full draw.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:47:01 pm »
Nice job....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:33:21 pm »
Looks like she shoots well! ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:53:36 pm »
Very nice. Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

8up

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:48 pm »
Justin I will post more pics after I seal it and add the leather grip.

Pat she does shoot well but I have to get use to aiming a bow thats not center shot I have to aim to the left to hit where I want. I'm left handed and it hits to the right about 7" of where I'm looking at 10 yds. Is this something to do with arrow spine?

Koan thanks but I'm not sure who Brian is?  :)

Thanks Jawge

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:48:24 pm »
8up, sounds like your arrows are over spined. they should be about 10# lighter than your bow draw weight or cut to at least 30".    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

8up

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:15 pm »
Pat that is most likely the problem. The weakest arrows I have are 2013.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 12:43:52 am »
 ;D ;D Brian is me, I think

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

8up

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:59:58 am »
Brian, I feel stupid now. I read it as "Nice job Brian" I was on cloud 9 and missed the ...... Thanks for the compliment..... Ron

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My first selfbow w/ more pics (many thanks to all that helped)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:02:17 am »
O man you ant shooting aluminum off that are you,you are going to give me the big one.Nice
save Ron.Hope you learned a lot and we can probably come up with another stave.Enjoyed Sat.
 and hope you did also.Tiller ant prefect but it is a shooter and that is way more than I can say on my first/2/3/4/5/.and so on. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 10:56:34 am »
Welcome to the club 8up, don't worry they get better as you progress. Your in good hands with Pappy and
the other guys at Twin Oaks. Keep em comin. And use the aluminum for hot dog skewers or something ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 11:15:18 am »
Ron, Off you go with your Full Draw pic of your first self bow - off to my Traditional Bows Drawn Pages, that is. Ain't it a great feeling when folks help ya do something you never had any idea you could do - namely, make a shooter? Enjoyed it myself just a month or so ago. I also am itching to get started on my next. Your FD will appear on page 12 in a short matter of minutes. Check it out.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd12.htm
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:54:29 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

8up

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:01:55 pm »
Pappy, I definitely learned a ton. I too really enjoyed Saturday. Thank you for all your generosity. As for arrows the aluminum was all I have and their to stiff. Where can I get woods at for this bow? If I can find some I promise to shoot them if there affordable.

Ber643 yes it is a great feeling. I am still amazed by the way everyone is so willing to help and share their knowledge. I have never found this in another group of people. That page is pretty cool, thanks for including me.

DanaM until I can find some inexpensive woods I will have to skewer those hot dogs while shooting.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:11:47 pm »
8up, my pleasure. When you get time, look at all the 11 pages before it (if you didn't) and you'll probably see a lot of folks at full draw that you've met or heard of - and lots of their beautiful bows.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC