Author Topic: Hackberry project  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Hackberry project
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »
Got my new toy setup to day. ;D
Really like the way it works. So with it setup I started on a hackberry stave I had gotten off e-bay. was just going to sand the back and go buy the person that took off the bark got wild. 1st picture
So I have worked the back. 2nd picture.
Roughed out a bow. Not quite ready for the long string. Guidance needed. Should I back it with rawhide? I am going to add some snakeskin when tillered and stained. It looks like I have the back down to a ring, will double check when I can work on it again.
Last picture is of the stave in the press. Like I said, really like the product and I am glad I got it.
Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sweeney3

Re: Hackberry project
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »
As of the picture in the bottom in the press, I see a lot of violation on the back.  Hackberry is one of my favorites and it does really well if not violated, but if it is it'll really raise splinters and peel open.  You could either chase down one more ring or you could back it as is.  It wouldn't need a heavy backing; something like rawhide would work fine, but it would need a backing if you don't clean the back up.  Just my two cents.  That's a good, workable stave though.

With hackberry that has pretty thin rings, you can use a pretty course sandpaper to take it down a ring rather than using an edged tool and it'll be a little less likely to cut down a layer.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:34 pm »
Loos like he stopped chasing a ring just on the left side of the press.  I think he still needs to chase the right side. 

Goodluck with it.  I am helping a friend with a hackberry bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:53:36 pm »
 I've never used hackberry, but, I thought all you had to do was take the  bark of like any other white wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »
YES ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS  TAKE THE BARK OFF THERE S UR BACK BUT IF THE RING VIOLATED JUST USE SAND PAPER GO TO TE NEXT RING I BACK MINE WITH SILK IT WORKS GREAT ON HACK BERRY  BROCK

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:49:54 am »
Thanks for the input.  :)
The bottom picture I took for the Stave Press people.  ::)
The left side I had worked on, the right I had not touched yet. Used my small draw knife some but most was done with a furnature scraper and some 60 grit sandpaper.  ;)
I will try to get a picture tomorrow of the current 'state of affairs'. On call at work all this comming week so fun stuff like this will be put on hold. :'(
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:03:14 am »
I just recieved my Stave Press from Jon also. Haven't even set it up and probably won't for another week or 2. I'll post when I start on the first one because I guarantee you I'm going to need all the help I can get. I'll be watching your progress. Thanks for posting.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.