Author Topic: about snake skin backing  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Blacktail

about snake skin backing
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:38 pm »
i have done a few backings on bows..and all of them i just run a razor with the edge of the bow...i have seen some bows with the skin wrapped around the edge and into the belly..SO,does any one have pics of the BELLY of the bow and how far you leave the skin on...we all see pics of the back but not the belly when the skin is rolled over the edge...john

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: about snake skin backing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »
Sorry....can't help you much.....I normally just trim mine off at the edge of the Back....sometimes I will bring them around to the bottom of the Sides....but never onto the Belly....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »
The last snake skin backing I did, I brought it down the sides of the limbs.  I didn't like the way it looked.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:30 am »
John, some will trim flush on the belly side.  Pro's and cons are this,  If the skin wraps the edge then it is prone to damage from string rub as well as edge ware especially if the edges aren't rounded well. The only advantage would be for better camo effects. I have just started using the ultralight camo sleeves for hunting. That way I can have a "pretty" bow when I'm target shooting and the sleeves also help protect the bow finish. ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
I usually cut mine at the edge of the back, but I did wrap one around.  First I wrapped it onto the belly, and then filed it off even with the belly edge.  The file marks were a bugger to try and remove.  Here are a couple three pictures:

As you can see it is very hard to keep the skin width consistent on the edge if the limb edge is not a uniform thickness.  I didn't watch that close enough.  It is also easy to cut through the skin on the edge where it wraps around the back.  I probably won't do it that way again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:59:14 pm »
Hmmm, got me thinking about snakeskin back on a bow, trimmed off the sides to let the yeller wood show...and then putting belly skin from snakes on the belly of the bow, trimmed again to let the yeller wood show. 

I found that if a good job of glueing is done on the snakeskins, I just use a sandpaper block to do the trim. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:22 am »
Gstone, thats nice.  I always wanted to see it rolled over, but had a hard time gracefully taking off the sides to the tips.
Westminster, MD