Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 3736 times)

Offline bigcountry

Tiller check
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:41:28 pm »
Ok, finishing up this one.  She is 57" at 27".  I am short drawing it.   Here is where I mess up over and over.  I get a beautiful tiller when centered on the string and on a tiller tree.  But end up with bottom limb bending too much.  I want to avoid that this time.  I think its about there. 

Top tip section looks stiff, but the top limb had natural reflex, and I heated alot there to straighten out this stave.  So I am hesitate to get more bend there.

Westminster, MD

Offline artcher1

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
That looks pretty good Bigcountry. If you want to eliminate your bottom limb from coming in to weak just start exercising your bottom limb a little more if you're using a tillering board. You can do this by pulling more from the heel side of your handle rather than from the arrow pass side of the bow's center. That goes against the grain of what other bowyers do but what the hay. Most of their bows comes in with lower weaker limbs too I've noticed.......Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:38 pm »
She looks good and the top limb looks like she's got a slight reflex. What draw length do you want? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kentowl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
Nice tillering job - but there must be an easier way to turn that light out   ;D

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:48:43 pm »
Looks really nice in my opinion.
Nate Danforth

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:10:53 am »
I try to get my bows positioned on the tiller in the same place as I'd support the bow when holding it, I also pull the string back where I will be pulling it. Have a try moving it on the tiller, it can look all cocked over to one side at low draws and you'll probably have to compromise a bit. It may help or just add to the confusion!
If all else fails just be sure to leave the lower limb drawing back a bit less than the top one.
Del
BTW. It looks fine to me.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:51 am »
Looks good to me,I leave my tips a little stiff anyway.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:43:13 am »
I try to get my bows positioned on the tiller in the same place as I'd support the bow when holding it, I also pull the string back where I will be pulling it. Have a try moving it on the tiller, it can look all cocked over to one side at low draws and you'll probably have to compromise a bit. It may help or just add to the confusion!
If all else fails just be sure to leave the lower limb drawing back a bit less than the top one.
Del
BTW. It looks fine to me.

Here's the wierd thing.  When I put iit on a tiller tree with clasp positioned where the most pressure is on the string and where I think the most pressure is on the handle, I see a different thing.  I see the top limb (right) bending alot more than the bottom.

Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:51:33 am »
Still looks pretty good to me,looks like it isn't quite square in the saddle on that picture,right looks down a little,plus look like a little hump out of the handle on the right which will throw out the way it looks,guess I just ant as particular as some are. :) Can't see all the picture at one time but I think it looks fine,I would shoot it some and then check it again. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:51 am »
Tiller looks good to me I'd do like Pappy said shoot it a while and then check it again.Thanks Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 10:01:22 am »
 Here's the wierd thing.  When I put iit on a tiller tree with clasp positioned where the most pressure is on the string and where I think the most pressure is on the handle, I see a different thing.  I see the top limb (right) bending alot more than the bottom.

[/quote]

That's the way it should look.

You're not taking into account the heel pressure of your bow hand BC. Move you bow more towards the lower limb and pull down. This shortens the bending radius of the lower limb and brings it into line with the upper. Much like when you're drawing the bow by hand.............Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:11 am »
Time to evaluate tiller by drawing. Bottom limb looks slightly stiffer in your hand held drawing picture. That is what I aim for. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
You say 'Clasp' does that mean you are clamping it on the tree?
I think it's better to have it free to rock on the tree. I have a curved surface to support the bow (with a rubber covering), you hand doesn't clamp the bow, it supports it.
I must admit that my bows can look different in the hand too, so I check 'em in front of a mirror or a big window or get mrs Cat to take a pic of me at full draw etc... anything that helps.
Del

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:29 am »
Del, i mean clasp the string.  on the tree, I have a piece of leather that slightly lets it rock to one side or the other. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »
Del, i mean clasp the string.  on the tree, I have a piece of leather that slightly lets it rock to one side or the other. 
Oh, right.. in that case I can only shrug and saunter away whistling ::)
Del