Author Topic: Staining Rawhide Backing  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Staining Rawhide Backing
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »
I have some goat rawhide I am using for a backing. I was wondering if anyone had ever dyed their rawhide while it was soaking in water before applying. I have some water soluable aniline dies and was thinking I could get rid of the near white color and soften it for applying at the same time.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Staining Rawhide Backing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
You can use water soluble dye like fabric dye, or grab some food coloring, even Kool Aid for some brilliant colors.  I usually use oil based stain after the rawhide is applied to the back of the bow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:05 am »
I'm sure it will work the way you plan it, but it's probably the easier (and cleaner) job to dye the applied rawhide after it dried. I used waterbased wood dyes, also painted rawhide with acrylic and India ink.
This one has waterbased wood dye on the rawhide:   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16577.0.html
Frank from Germany...

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:32:49 am »
I wouldn't dye it before gluing... might cause problems with adhesion. But, you can do pretty much whatever you want with the rawhide once it's dry.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »
I agree with adb and medicinewheel. Not only would it be easier and cleaner but I have always sanded down my rawhide AFTER I apply it. It seems to come out much smoother that way.
Also, as for dye, I have only used Rit dye cut with some rubbing alcohol and it works great, lots of color choices too.
Mark
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:27:09 pm by commadore »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:13:00 pm »
Some mention sanding their rawhide smooth after it has dried.  Another way is to remove the wraps after a few hours and once the glue has set (assuming you are using something like TB II or III).  Then wipe the rawhide down with a damp sponge up and down until the rawhide swells a little.  It will then dry smooth without taking on the wrap texture. 

If you use hide glue, this is how you get the rawhide to fall off.  But that's a story for another day.  :-\
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline boerneaggie

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »
I have stained rawhide and used it as backing very successfully.  I stretched and dried the rawhide and allowed it to dry like you normally would.  I stained it using black walnut husks crushed and placed in water and boiled it down to where it was thicker than water but thinner than syrup.  Allowed it to cool.  I put the dried rawhide in the stain slowing letting the hide get soft and pushing it in a little at a time.  Once it was completely in, I placed a rock on it and left if submerged for one week.  I then pulled it out, wrung it out and stretched it like you do regular rawhide.  I cut the strips and used it as backing using hide glue.  It is black as night and workes very well.  The die had no effect on the glue. 

Good luck,
David

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »
Hello David, welcome to PA!
Huh, we don't believe what you did to that rawhide, and that it is black as night and stuff... we need to see evidence... pictures, you know!
Frank from Germany...

Offline boerneaggie

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:23 pm »
I've had trouble posting the pictures.  Let's see if this worked.

Offline boerneaggie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »
I've had trouble getting the pictures resized.  Let's see if this works.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:01 pm »
uhh, pretty good start David; you can post 640X480, 200kb pics, six at one post.
Frank from Germany...

Offline boerneaggie

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:24 pm »
The bow is finished.  It is elm, 53lbs at 26.5" and is 65.5" tip to tip.  I've taken one buck with it last year.