Author Topic: Elm, static recurve (not for BOM)  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Holten101

Elm, static recurve (not for BOM)
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »
This is my first recurve....well its actually my second try on the same stave;-). Its wych Elm (NOT heat treated) 63" ntn, 53#@28...and not quite finished since I have not decided how to wrap the handle (the arrow rest might be changed too). The recurve is reinforced with yew heart wood (love the looks and pliability of that when it is steamed).

Tips rest about 1" in front of handle when just unbraced and about 2" after 1 hour....and it shoots nicely with a very smooth draw and FD curve. It is about as fast as my straight Molly bows.

Profile and brace:

Recurve reinforcment:

And the money shot:

As it is my first there are some things that I will do differently next time....and getting the tiller right is a process with new types of bow.

Thanks for watching:-)

Cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elm, static recurve (not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
Very nice bow. I like the tip reinforcement. I did that with a hickory recurve using walnut for the reinforcement.
  Your full draw pic looks very nice too. You did a good job on your first. Now I have something to look at while tillering the 60" elm static recurve I'm making.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »
Very Nice, indeed!  As I haven't tried anything like this, how did you go about matching the curve of the yew to the elm, were they bent together, etc.?
I like it!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »
Very Nice bow.
Nate Danforth

Offline ohma

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »
great looking job on that Holton. i just finished up a osage thats a twin to it only mine has buffalo horn overlays.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »
Very nice tiller on that one, a real beauty...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Like that yew too! Nice but may needs more wood than a self treated curve (may not). Anyway I would reduce from the with after the curve on the tips.

I think for this curve some heat treat needs on the limbs. U had let the limbs natural form, but work on the reflex on an other way... I would do the same on the limbs too. Correct the bottom deflex and treat both to reflex.

Tiller is great as allways and the bow is nice as allways ;)

My glass is empty as allways :lol ....
hope U dont take my words as a criticism

Offline Holten101

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:21 am »
Hehe Fusizoli...If I didnt want constructive critisme I would not be in her posting my bows;-)

You are properbly right, the width of the tips can be reduced, but then I would have to make tip overlays....not sure that would result in measurable net weight loss. The bow started out as a rather heavy weight pyramid (that is when it took set)...I then made a static recurve out of it with carved oak supports/reinforcments...they popped off when the bow was drawn to 31" by mistake. I then shortened it, and bend some slabs of yew to conform with the recurve.

The reason why I have not heat treated it (yet?) is that im afraid of damageing the glued on tip reinforcments and the glued on riser....I quess I could heat threat the mid section of the limbs, might do that:-)

@Frode...I made recurve on the elm stave using steam (I didnt not follow up with deep dry heat as I would today), I then made a rough form of the curve and steam bend two slabs of yew to conform.....the curve actually works a little bit, and im sure a working recurve can be made this way too...that will make it a composite I assume?

Im alittle dissapointed that it is not faster than my pyramid and Molly style bows....TBB did predict that though:-)

Cheers 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 06:38:00 am »
Very nice ,tiller looks good,can't wait to see it all prettyed up. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:35 am »
Super nice Holten!! I like it the way it is, if it was mine I suppose I would just dress it up a little and shoot all day long... then go make another one  ;D
Rockford, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 01:56:22 pm »
I am really curious how you got the re-enforcements on there.  Did you glue on before or after recurving.  Oops, you already answered

Very nice.  Bet its a rocket launcher.
Westminster, MD

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:07:15 pm »
Very nice bow, you did a good job on that for sure, good tiller good workmanship
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »
Very nice work. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:45:18 pm »
"Im alittle dissapointed that it is not faster than my pyramid and Molly style bows....TBB did predict that though:-"

If you had heat treated the tips and narrowed them up I bet it'd be faster ;D.  The handicap in the recurves is wide and thick tips, A heavy heat treat will allow you to get them quite narrow and the same thickness as the rest of the limb.  According to Marc you can heat them much more than the limbs because they are non-working.
Nate Danforth