Author Topic: backing ?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline knap_123

backing ?
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:35:09 pm »
will polyester work as well as silk for backing?    and what color is the best to dye with to show off copperheads natural color?

Offline Frode

Re: backing ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »
knap,
Are you thinking a functioning protective backing, or something more to underlay the copperhead?  I would think the polyester would stretch more than a natural material (more than you'd want) for a protective backing, but I'll defer to others on that, as I've only used linen.  Poly is often more difficult to dye, and might pose gluing problems, as well.  I'd be hesitant, personally.  Seems I recall some folks here using cotton, with good results (can't recall who, but I seem to remember someones young lady being pleased as Punch with a pink camo pattern backed bow  :)).
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: backing ?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »
I've backed with denim (heavy, makes the bow sluggish), light canvas (not quite as bad), and light shirtweight cotton (tough and doesn't slow the bow much).  I'd recommend you go to my favorite...antelope rawhide.  It's about as thick as butcher paper and bloody near as tough as kevlar!!!  Bombproof when applied correctly. 

Send me a p.m. and I'll hook you up with my supplier, he is also a regular advertiser in P.A.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.