Author Topic: Osage backed osage?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Osage backed osage?
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:27:19 am »
Has anyone ever taken osage that let's saw would not be good enough wood to make a full length stave or billet, chased a ring and then flattened that to use as a backing like you would bamboo?  I know of some logs that have been sitting and the inside had rot in it, but there are several short lenghts that a backing strip could be made from.  Just courious if it has ever been tried?

Offline artcher1

Re: Osage backed osage?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:43:12 am »
That would work great Charles. I like to take bows that I'm not satisfied with and use their backs..........Art

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:21 am »
Thank you Art.  I just might be able to find a couple of bows in this stuff rather than just let it go to waste.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:08:07 am »
      Along time ago when use to build billet bows I cut and glued one up that I did'nt trust it. Had some osage boards my brother sent me. He also sent me the slabs. So I debarked took off the sap wood and and cut it down to a backing strip. I don't see why chasing a ring would'nt work. I sold the bow to a guy. I had 2 other slabs that I ended up selling to the guy that said thats what he wanted it for. I don't sure it he ever used it. I've heard of other guy doing the same thing with ceder.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:21:32 am »
 Charlie, John Pruitt has been doing that for years with some of his bows. He cuts thin lam's of osage, chases a ring and then uses it for backing osage boards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?