Author Topic: A Question about Sinew  (Read 12185 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: A Question about Sinew
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:20 pm »
How did Art put the sinew on the bow with TBIII? Did he first put down some glue then wet some sinew and lay it in the glue? Or, did he dip the sinew in the TBIII and then lay it on the bow?

Thanks

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:19:58 pm »
David, I believe he thinned the glue a bit and dipped the sinew into the glue. I could be wrong. I know he first sized it and let that dry completely so the moisture from the rest wouldn't go into the wood.
Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 10:30:50 pm »
Lennie, Its really not the hide glue itself that makes the sinew shrink and pulls reflex. It is hydrating the sinew. I have made sevearl sinew backed bows with hide glue. I just made my first with TB2. I moderalty hydrated the sinew with warm water prior to running it through the tb2 just like hide glue. The bw pulled into reflex well but not as much as hide glue. I needed to hydrate the einew even more then I did. If this would have been done I have no doubt that the bow wuld have acted just like a hide glued bow. I will try it again soon and let ya know if super hydration yeilds as much reflex as hide glue. I beleive it will. I doubted but Treeman got me to try it. I will post the bow up when completed. One major flaw is that is is UGLY......yes I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I really dislike the looks of the finished product. I plan on covering this one with snake skins....i would never put snake skins over sinew and hide glue cause I think it looks really cool....the tb2 looks poor.

SJM

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 11:50:01 pm »
SJM, How bout a build-along? It would be interesting to see it done step by step.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:13 pm »
Pat, I will do one next bow that I do with TB2. May take awile. I usually sinew bows in groups and have 3 curing right now. After I finish thee up i will do one.

SJM

Dale

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 10:43:32 am »
I've never completly sinewed the back of a bow with sinew.  But I have glued sinew bands up to 3" wide on bows.  I have used Barge Cement for this with excellent results.