Author Topic: Glass: a few follies  (Read 31384 times)

DCM

Re: Glass: a few follies
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »
Kegan,

Yes.  LOL  On the internet you learn to anticipate the unexpected.

Lennie,

He said I needed to leave the wood all the same thickness when straightening.  I was actually still straightening this guy as I was tillering it, essentially too late, and never could get it straight even to the point of popping a nice crack thru it on the belly.  It was actually crooked and whoop-d-do in that area.  Further he said, when tillering, a whoop-d-do will always be thicker than the surrounding wood to bend evenly.  Something about a whoop-d-do being inherently weaker, which I take with a grain of salt.  I think if you put enough relfex in the whoop-d-do area might prove more comparable to the surrounding wood.  But I have not actually put that to a definitive test.

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 06:17:08 pm »
David I tend to be a "v" chaser when tillering a bow, even on the character bows, I can't say I have ever noticed a difference in strength at a whoop de doo, The do sometimes end up a little thicker when tiller is finsihded but have always thought that was just me and not the wood doing that. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 08:10:02 pm »
Though we only met at Mojam a few (?) years ago I consider DCM a friend. We were joking around for Pete's sake. Thanks for the kind words though. LOL. We kinda propelled the thread to new heights, DCM. LOL.:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 08:12:10 pm »
When I tiller, as the back dips, I try to get the belly to dip equally. That's what I do but I don't bend wood much. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 09:13:02 pm »
"Wooden bow making seems to attract people who are competent in the gritty material world, but who also have a sense of subterranean magic. The existence of this quality could not be proven in court. It's displayed subtly, by tone rather than words, and in the bows they make. This is, no doubt, why they have rejected the soul-less, uniform factory bow."

Quote from Tim Baker TBB 1 Chapter 3, page 80

This sums it up pretty good for me.

Good job  of writing Tim.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 09:32:08 pm »
George,

Man you ain't see nothing.  As far as flame fests goes this was.... well about like a sparker.  I consider you a friend and mentor George.  Ain't no tellin the number of wanderers you've brung to the fold.

Wood bowyery ain't about a bow, it's a lifestyle.  That's why I hate, although that's too strong a word, comparing a self bow to a glass bow, in terms of cast or whatever.  It's like saying Micheal Jordan is a really fast runner.  It misses the whole point.  The glass bow has it's merits, and master's certainly have had their hand in it.  But a glass bow is dead.  A wooden bow is alive in every since, moody like a women, high maintanence, but loyal and warm like a dawg.  Ideally it enjoys an immortality in memories of the bowyer.  I honestly wonder what's become of some of my babies.  Any of you nare do wells that's got one let me know, even if they've run off with a cousin or something unsavory like that.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 10:23:41 pm »
Thanks, David. This is a lifestyle. Watching the Sox and fletching arrows. Gotta get ready for a weekend shoot. Ole Jawge needs plenty of arrows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 06:55:52 am »
Ya Gary gets all upset about calling a boo backed bow a selfbow,It was a article in PA.hunting
hogs in Tennessee that got him tore up ,the  time before was Torgus on same length limbs,he gets intense about that stuff,I tell him to take a deep breath. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37:03 am »
Man I wish I'd got him to tell me his thoughts on Dean's article.  Those two are both pretty adamant about their points of view.  I've always held Gary's view of same-length limbs, but I think I'm starting to get why a shorter lower limb might be an advantage.  Certainly both work just fine though, as a practical matter.  And its a luxury to be abel to choose your bottom limb when the bow is nearly finished.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2007, 12:10:27 pm »
You really didn't want to get him started on that one,it wasn't that he doesn't think it is OK to do a longer upper limb it was that Dean said it wasn't OK to do same length.He ranted at LBL last winter for 2 days after I showed him that article and then went home and wrote his own.Dean's
remarks about taking the easy way out got him going for sure.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2007, 12:30:33 pm »
;-)

Those two deserve each other.  I liked Gary's article.  Honestly, from reading his article I would not have known his preference had Lennie not just mentioned it.  And he nailed the implications for the two choices, in particular with the diagrams.  Having invested a good deal of time in the topic after Dean's article, Gary's seemed very clear and concise and unbiased.  Dean's on the other hand....  Had he not miscommunicated the negative tiller aspect, aside from the obvious contentious tone in general, I think his underlying premise has merit.  I think context is important too.  Dean seems to value very short, heavy draw bows where the asym has a more pronounced impact.  Not sure what's Gary's preferences are.

What is LBL Pappy?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2007, 12:54:08 pm »
Pappy, you really didn't want to get him going a little later in the evening when he had a couple of beers in him either.  ;) I noticed from talking to him during the morning he really bites his tongue. After dinner when he has put the bows he is working on away he gets a little looser.   
As for taking the easy way out. I would say that if Dean learned to do uneven length limbs and has been doing it that way for years. That is the easy way out.  That is one of my favorite things about this site. I always learn a different way to do things, or new things to try.  By doing things outside my comfort zone, I really learn a lot more.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2007, 02:07:36 pm »
I can attest to Gary's open-minded-ness when it comes to limb length.  And to Dean's "my-way-or-the-highway" minded-ness.  And since they both make excellent bows, I can only conclude that both ways have merit.

David I think you are spot on with the idea that a bow's design influences how balance is perceived.  Very diplomatic of you to come up with a way for both parties to be right.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2007, 02:21:26 pm »
You guys are a  riot. LMAO. Yes, some Greeks are pretty stubborn. I have no idea where that personality trait came from. LOL. I just have so many memories of stubborn Greeks. Ma, Dad, my Uncles. God rest  them. You think Dean is stubborn and contentious. LOL. Not even close. He's a pussycat. For the record, yes I do have stubborn tendencies myself. Must be genetic. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2007, 02:23:11 pm »
DCM, you are right. The longer the bow the less the need for a shorter lower limb. You're getting pretty wise in your old age. :) Jawge
Set Happens!