Author Topic: Osage Sisters  (Read 2731 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Osage Sisters
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:21:26 pm »
A friend Gary came over today to work on his bow.  I started working on mine and realized that his was the sister to mine.  His was the top stave, mine was the bottom.  My bow is much further along, currently drawing 43# at 24".  Gary is almost to floor tillering stage on his.  When we finished I laid them side by side and was fascinated to see how the knots were sometimes different and sometimes nearly identical.  Here's what they look like.

I know, I don't get out much...easily amused. ::)   Newly added to the silly things I do file, Gary and I went out to round up more bow wood this afternoon, and I brought home a giant slingshot handle.  Not sure why.  Hmmm, would that left side and the handle make a character bow?   ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

Re: Osage Sisters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:52:52 pm »
maybe that is a "siege" slingshot handle.  you could use bike innertubes and use it to fling big rocks!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »
I think I might get in trouble with a slingshot that big,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:29 pm »
I was drawn to the silly thing like a moth to a flame.  I had to have it.  If I'd had my chain saw I'd have brought back more odd shaped limbs to play with.  Getting wood is addictive, everything about this hobby is addictive.  It's wonderful. :)

He had a very large, very old, very dead and very straight osage stump about 4' long  lying on its side.  I've got to have that puppy.  He said I could come back to get it and I'm taking him up on it.  Wonder how many billets are hiding inside it???  Wonder how I'll get it home??  My friend's talk about wanting bass boats, and I'm pining over a 50 year old tree stump. ::) ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:14:56 pm »
How fortunate you guys are, you have Osage and Texas flint.....I may have to think about moving. You have a challenge in those staves, but I can see you are looking forward to it. Good Luck!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:58 am »
George, I would say your head is on pretty strait,
My friend's talk about wanting bass boats, and I'm pining over a 50 year old tree stump. ::) ;D

Much rather have a 50 year old stump instead of a boat.

Next time I am sent your way, I expect to see a 'WAR' slingshot. If you can use an air rifle for pigs, why not sling shots?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:08:44 am »
Texas is a great place to live for sure.  Truth is down here you can kill a hog with any legal weapon you want at any time day or night.  Slingshots are certainly legal for hogs, but bows are more fun.  If I had a better place to practice I'd be playing around with an atlatl.  Maybe someday. Dane's crossbow thread has me thinking about making one of those and going after piggys.  So far I have 2 favorite ways for hunting hunting hog;  high tech with night vision and a rifle, and low tech with a simple recurve or longbow.  Simple is more fun, hi-tech puts more sausage in the freezer.  I need to find another place to chase hogs that lends itself to stalking.  So much potential fun, so little time and money.

George
St Paul, TX