Author Topic: crown dip??  (Read 3138 times)

Offline mox1968

crown dip??
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »
what exactly is crown dip?? is it just a name for thinned paint or is it an  actual product on its own?ive been looking around local hardware stores but havent seen anything with the name.(there arent really any archery type stores near me either).can it be made using ordinary types of paints or finishes??
thanks
john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: crown dip??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:15:46 am »
Crown dipping is adding paint(or stain) to the back 6" or so of your arrows. It is purely cosmetic but looks good on an arrow. Generally the grown dip extends an inch or so beyond the fletching. I have added crown dips by dipping the nock end of the arrow in paint and allowing it ti dry with that end down but also by masking off the nock end and spray painting the crown. When you add thin stripes to the crown dip or just a bare shaft they are called cresting. That originally was your signature showing ownership.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mox1968

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:17 am »
I understand what it is for but wondered what kind of paint??acrylic etc etc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59:04 am »
 You can use any kind of paint. I prefer to use lacquer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:11 am »
I've used oil based paint and water based paing for dips and also did it with spray paint. It doesn't matter as long as it is compatable with fletching glue and finishes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mox1968

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »
ok thanks guys,would it be best to use thinned down paint and dip a few times to keep it from getting lumpy or drippy??maybe skweegee it off each time?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
When I dipped arrows I would thin the paint(with proper thinner) just enough so it would run off after dipping and not build up too much.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
will give it a try at the weekend after i get some paint for it.
thanks again
john