Author Topic: R/D BBO tri-lam  (Read 9738 times)

Offline NTD

Re: R/D BBO tri-lam
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:43 pm »
Thanks Jeff and Swamp.

The power lams...practice....LOL I hate making them.  I use a belt sander clamped upside down in my vice to rough it out to the lines and then use a sanding block to finish them up.  You really have to sand the edges to nothing to get a nice fit.  I test fit them regularly during sanding.  This one looks particularly nice because it's sandwiched next to a middle lam of the same type of wood.
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:02 pm »
congrats Nate on Jan. backed bow of the month. well deserved win !!!

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:21:42 pm »
LOL Ken you're hilarious, have you seen the bows posted this month, Not a chance for me.  And that's okay, It's time for me to try for self BOM ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 10:23:13 pm »
third times a charm !! self bom is usually swamped . dang guys with four or more bows !! whats it coming to

Hexrod

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »
Beautiful bow.
I really like the cross-directional grain of the cocobolo over the bubinga - very pretty!

Lee

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 12:46:59 am »
Nice work!!! I think I might try a tri-lam next. There I go again, add another bow to the to-do list. That darn list just won't stop growing.
Rockford, MI

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:22:13 am »
Nate
I remember when you 1st started posting. At the start you could see that you had it in you...ie the art, and the BUG...
Holy cow man this thing sure is purdy! :o Don't kid yourself, that is a BOM contender for sure. Keep it up!
I would tell you tiller, colors and wood choices, nocks, and everything else is great, but I would just be repeating what has already been said...BTW tiller, color and wood choices, nocks, and everything else looks great! ;D

Also....Man it does my heart good to see a saguaro in the background. Kinda makes ya not feel so alone here in AZ, or the south west for that matter!!
Beautiful job Nate!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 09:35:51 am »
Really nice tiller on that bow, really nice bow over all; the bull snakes look nice!
Frank from Germany...

Offline ohma

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 10:22:29 am »
yeah great bow, the glue lines realy look good from here.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Lombard

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:54 am »
Another nice bow Nate. You have the tiller down to a science.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Beautiful work man.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Lee, I really like the cocobolo and thinks it's and otustanding wood next to osage.  I will be doing that combo again.  For anyone that is interested, on the cocobolo I did find that the finisih did NOT want to dry, I rarely have a problem with that in my warm dry climate but cocobolo is OILY!  To fix that I put a few coats of super glue on the cocobolo and buffed it to a nice finish first,  Once it was built up with super glue it took the tung oil nicely.

Thanks Ron, You should come down sometime and we can hunt some bunnies in the backyard.

Ohma, Glue lines are perfect on this one, ie, noneexistant.  First time I've had them this good!
Nate Danforth

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »
That's a beaut NTD. You've got those R/D tillers down pat. good job. 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 12:19:21 am »

Whoo Hooo! :o  That is beautiful!  You have definitely got it down now!   8)
As for the glue lines, I am having trouble seeing them, so could you send it down here, so I could take a closer look, at it, and test that pull, since I have a 28 inch draw, and that weight is just about perfect. ;)  I could check out the glue lines, and sort of test drive it for you,  8) and eventually, I would send it back to you......eventually.....maybe..... ::)

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:52 am »
Thanks Eric and Wayne.

Wayne, you're such a nut man ;D  While I'm prone to giving bows away I'm being a bit greedy with this one ;)
Nate Danforth