Author Topic: Double loop or bowyers knot?  (Read 12620 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Double loop or bowyers knot?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 07:25:35 am »
Double loop for me, no slip, no wrongly set brace height, and it's quick.
Only down side is getting the right length, but an adjustable length tillering string will let you find that out.
Not very traditional, but I've always done it that way. I have done a Flemish twist linnen string just for the heck of it which was quite pretty...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:07 am »
I use old bow strings for tillering. After 20+ years of making and breaking I have a quite a few. They are double loopers though I have been known to tie a bowyer's not for tillering. If the bow has a reflex though I use FF ad those are too long and need a bowyer's knot. My shooting strings are B 50 double loopers. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 01:09:26 pm »
I like the loop and knot..knot stays tied onto the bow and it's there when I want it. By staying securely tied on it keeps the twist correct once it is "set" in. I also like hanging the bow on a peg, on the loop end, which keeps then hanging vertical. I can also quickly tell which end is up on a self bow. Nothing wrong with double end loops.
Be sure and tie a few extra strands into the ends for added strength when using either way. Will help keep it from breaking at the wear and stress spots...Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:19 am »
A number of you seem to think that a lower loop will fall off. If you make it small enough to be tight(ish) the lower loop will never fall off.

Craig.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:15 pm »
I prefer the double loop endless string. I have nails driven into my string making jig (just a 1x3x6 board) at different lengths so making a string the correct length for any particular bow is very quick and easy.